Tapped Horn For Car

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As promised.

My review of the Unhorn Subwoofer.

First off, i knew this thing wasnt designed for rap, i took that into careful consideration before running it through its paces. I know quite a few rap tracks that are starting to get into the mid 20's for the bass ranges now. its pretty impressive, but hell on any sort of speaker, subs or not. It takes a pretty beefy setup to keep up with todays rap at any kind of SPL considered LOUD in my opinions.

The box was absolutely tiny! i couldnt beleive how much sound came out of such a tiny box! 114 db peaks in the car as we were listening to some techo/pop. The sub, like mark said, is no good under 35, you get overexcursion and a lack of sound. nothing that a high pass wouldnt fix. the 35 hz range is clean, undistorted, and come out with some serious authority in the car. As you crank the test tones closer to the 50-60hz range, the sub really starts to hit its element.

The bass is pretty much as flat as i have heard it. Sittin in car me and the other guys were lookin at the SPL meter playing test tones in increments from 40hz to 100hz, the dB meter never swayed more than 2 dB up or down from our baseline. The car did have a hell of a resonance around the 75-80hz range, the car was rattling a bit, but thats got nothing to do with the sub, but the cabin size/resonances of the Toyota Matrix.

All in all, its an absolutely awesome subwoofer for rock/techno/pop/classic. But it really doesn't hold its own under that 35hz range. Bang for the buck? its louder than anyone should ever need in a car, and so small that you could hide it under your seat for the most part, or stuff it in the corner of the trunk with some velcro and no one would even know it was there, 'till you turned it up.

I'm excited for the 4x SDX 7 setup. flat to 16 :)

Flat like pancake

Ok if the people who want flat to 16hz want to look at the first posts the sub design is there.

Is it going to live?

SOON VERY SOON.

Flat to 16hz where?

In a car. Flat as in takes into account the cabin gain and is naturally EQ'd to behave itself. Remember me hates over blown bass. I like alot of bass where and when it is there in the music. One note bass need not apply in my car. But I do miss being able to hear a mean 16hz low C on pipe organ CD's with the proper rattle and roll. So yes I'm building it should be ready early next week.

It's the true heavy metal gents!

Mark

P.S.

The twin trio 8 horn is going from theoretical to design phase. Some where sometime. But seriously the little box kicks serious butt someone should build this and give it a try. Or buy a precut and try it yourself.

With all the views on this thread you guys can vote for the next posted project.

Do you want to see a horn with 4 SDX7 as per beginning of thread more or less flat to 16hz.

OR

a dual trio 8 that is good to 30hz.

Both are not to small. Both are in and around 3 + cubic feet. I will post only one that gets the most votes. Both will fit into a space of about 38" x 26"

Both will be equally as loud more or less. Actually the SDX7 horn will be more efficient and capable of going louder.

So vote!

Remember this is a thread by a benevolent Dick Tator also known as Richard Potato Head. I should go to bed right about now me thinks.

Mark

Vote

I vote for the Trio version because the cost of four SDX7 woofers is outrageous. I think you will have a better chance at getting people to build your design if the driver costs are kept lower. You need to keep things real here. While four SDX7 woofers looks and might sound cool, I doubt you will get many people dropping over $400 in woofers just to try it out.

The voice of reason

Hi JLH It's hard to argue when you make sense.

You are correct in a way. Some of the Gents are car sound buffs. $400 on drivers that can out perform two 15's is not all that bad when you roll the dice and think it through that way.

But I have to agree on the two trios. They are beautiful drivers and I have a couple in house.

If there was enough demand maybe there could be a group buy on the SDX7's. That box will really be a smasher 0f concepts and the kids who drive up beside me. They allready don't know what hit them with the baby box.

Mark

P.S. I think I'm going to try some other drivers on the baby box and see how bad the performance is.

Cost is such a nasty word lets call it an investment.

OK gents I have it from on high that there is a possible discount on the SDX7.

It can be purchased for less. It's in the vendors thread. That's where the business end of things belongs. Let's keep this thread to the Q & A side of things. SO check out:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1877444#post1877444

So far the trio 8 is coming in in about 2 to 3 weeks. The 4 pc SDX7 is going to be next. Sorry I did more of the design work before the computer went boom and had it on paper.

The trio 8 is going to come about in a number of forms. Home and auto. So I will not be keeping it a big secret.

Mark

TRIO8 Beginning

OK gents here is the biginning of the TRIO8 True Tapped horn. It is not that small. It is actually 5.5 cubic feet or 156 liters. But it is quite efficient. As a home wall mount it is 94db/watt. In a car you get a nice boost.

Just as a teaser I modeled a twin SDX7 to go down to 20hz. Not a true tapped horn just a nasty littel impedance transformer like the unhorn. About 57 litres. This I have to try.

So here are the pics:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Raw driver measurement

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

1 watt SPL

Max SPL

Simulated impedance.

Mark

P.S.
Just as a teaser I modeled a twin SDX7 to go down to 20hz. Not a true tapped horn just a nasty little impedance transformer like the Unhorn. About 57 liters. This I have to try.

I like this design better

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 764
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.