Tangband 6 1/2 inch 'sub box designs; sealed and vented

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
raintalk

Also - what are you using to draw your designs with? Looks like something I could use.

I used AutoCAD. I just exported it as a bmp and then converted it to jpg. I am not an autoCAD pro by anymeans just know some of the basics; enough to be dangerous:D

Cal,

thats good news if thats the case, and thanks for the info on the multi tool. I bought it already. I may just try that box idea of yours. I have to see if I could use unibox and see what pans out just for kicks. It does pr designs right??

Also the beers here are great. The local beer here is called Hairoun and is reputed by most visitors to be quite good. And if you do come you must try our Sunset very strong rum.... the name says it all. I dont need to elaborate:devilr:

Duane

Ok, here's where we're at:

I have the TB along with a Pioneer drone in the lower cabinet (.8 cu ft), with the plate amp.

The MCM 7" and an unknown inverted soft dome in the next compartment (approx 500 cu inches), and the Coral mid in about a 300. The upper two compartments don't go all the way to the back so there's a little breathing room for the woof and drone up the back.
Crossovers are 100, 1000, 10000, all 6dB except the low pass on the plate amp, which I think is 12. No Zobel or notch, just air core and poly.
I am impressed. Not just a proud father kind of thing, this is for real. I am truly surprised at how this sounds. Takes a bit of juice to get 'er going but the overall effect I am really happy about.
When the real cabinets are made, I think I will add about 15 grams of weight to the drones and increase the cabinet to about a 1 cu ft, and fiddle a bit with the XO.
Not bad for a stupid 4 way that I never thought I would dream up let alone do a mock-up. Life is full of surprises.
The picture I took last night before it was wired up.

Cal

Attachments

• cal-4-way.jpg
    cal-4-way.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 512
bwbass said:
I just finished a "little" pc speaker sub with the adire Koda 8 driver, which has 12mm xmax and fits in a pretty small box. I wound up using an 8" sonotube about 27" long with a 17" x 3" diameter port mounted in the other end cap. I have it standing up in a corner as a HT sub right now and it's quite capable and has in-room extension to the mid 20's.

Adire shows a .7 qts sealed alignment for this driver as being .35 ft^3, which is pretty small, if you prefer.

you have a picture of it ?

These are the measured responses.

Red one is for subwoofer driver without any EQ

Blue is sub driver with 3rd order LP and HP @ 45Hz and 140Hz respectively

Brown is a sat response ON TABLE !!! that is why it is not as smooth as in free air.

Attachments

• freq responses.gif
    freq responses.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 397
I have a pair of these woofers as well.
Here is my thread .

I like them a lot. I still need a fix a couple of problems with my box, but thats my fault and not the speakers. Also the other problem I have is with the amplifier, but again not the speakers fault. The bass is solid and pretty tight. These little guys hit very low. For music they are great. Movies they are amazing as well, very superizing, I'll turn up the volume on them thinking there is not enough bass (my sub amp is absolutely awful, thats why I have to adjust the amp, I need an actual sub amp instead of a PA amp) and all the sudden the filiments in the lightbulbs in the lamp, on the subwoofer, hit the outside of the lightbulb and the bulb continues to vibrate and even vibrates against the lightbulb housing. Very confusing process, but basically they get superizingly loud. They get very low, but it is obvious they can't put out the 20hz tones. I've owned subs that get lower and are tighter, but all have been about 2x the size and atleast 3x the cost. Overall these are a great bargain. I can't imagine a better subwoofer for the size and price.

I'm designing speakers for my dorm room (which I will live in next year) and each bookshelf enclosure will have one of these TB W6s and a full range. The speakers are great and very flexable. The has a low vas really makes them more convinient to use.

Good Luck,

Josh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.