Tang Band W8-1808 Cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's some info I've collected so far on the W8-1808

I emailed Tang Band and here's what they recommend:
Vented box
Box parameters
Vb= 65 liters
V(total)= 66.39 liters
Fb=41.41hz
QL=6.723
F3=47.16 hz
fill= minimal

Vents= 1 round with flush end
Dv=71 mm
Lv=40 mm

Had a conservation with a Parts Express tech says they work best in a 1 cubic ft sealed box

Bob B. says a 65L box will be punchier but a 100L goes lower - at this size it's a floor stander MLTL

DIY Atlanta had one in a 3 cubic ft ported.

One guy on ebay ( can't find the link ) was selling the W8-1808 in what I recall was a 48 H X 11 W x 18 D bass reflex single driver configuration with no correction for several grand. He proclaimed nothing else could come close to it's sound :)

Here's some info I've collected so far on the W8-1808

Had a conservation with a Parts Express tech says they work best in a 1 cubic ft sealed box

After doing a 2.5cu' sealed box, I can see the point of going 1cu' instead. The bass hump caused by using the smaller enclosure might nicely offset the early bass roll off of the driver and integrate better with a sub. I found with the larger sealed box. I needed to add bass boost to the tang band to get it to marry with a sub at a reasonably low frequency of around 60hz. I might try a 1cu' just to compare.

Reactions: 1 user
>>> After doing a 2.5cu' sealed box, I can see the point of going 1cu' instead. The bass hump caused by using the smaller enclosure might nicely offset the early bass roll off of the driver and integrate better with a sub.

The sims i got best indicated a 1.25 cf sealed or a 2.5 cf ported cab for this driver. Anywhere from .75 to 4 cf could work well imo. I enjoy mine on an OB at the moment with bass help.

I'm also curious if Bob B. has a variant of his TT-2000 ML TQWT cab that would work with the 1808. That could well be the best single driver use of this speaker if available. I just tried to send him a PM to ask.

Poultrygeist - maybe you could just mount an 18" speaker on each of the "wings" while she's not looking! :D

Joined 2010
Paid Member
This has been an interesting thread. My first and current DIY audio project has been a pair of GR Research NX2's (sealed 2 way, .5 cf with ribbon tweet). There is an image in the gallery. These are very good speakers that handle voices extremely well but they were only a little improvement over my excellent little Epos ELS8's. So I started looking at full range projects.

My musical tastes are folksy "rootsy" R & B and I gravitate towards well recorded live performances. I listen to quite a bit of vinyl and like jazz too.
So my new speakers should make it sound like I'm in the room with the Bill Evans Trio on Waltz for Debby and in the stadium with the Grateful Dead or Joni Mitchell. Maybe that is a tall order. My listening room is 15' x 25' with 9' celings.

I'd like to try the TB 1808's in a 1.25 cf sealed box. Inside dimensions could be 10"W x 18"H x 12"D. Was thinking of 3/4" MDF but perhaps 1" might be better with this large enclosure. Some internal bracing would certainly be in order as well as some dampening.

Since the driver by all accounts is so versatile I don't see a problem with spending the money on it. Probably an excellent choice for a first foray into the full range milieu.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I think you'll be pleased with the sound, but be aware they won't have any deep bass. I think the 1808 is a versatile and good sounding speaker, but not necessarily the "best" for any specific application.

I'd be surprised, in a sealed enclosure, if these did not exceed my current speakers in the bass department. Bass below a certain frequency is indeed boring and can be rather aggravating imho;)

I'd agree they should give you significantly more bass than you have with your current speakers, just rolling off below 100 Hz and almost none below 60. Let us know what you think, as I am currently torn between putting mine on larger open baffles or putting them in sealed 1.25 cf enclosures myself (along with some bass augmentation).

I have the W8-1808 in a .8cf sealed box sitting beside a small powered subwoofer. They make beautiful music together! After listening to the 1808 my Fostex 168z sounds slightly veiled.

Attachments

• Tangband-W8-1808-sealed.jpg
    Tangband-W8-1808-sealed.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 956
I have the W8-1808 in a .8cf sealed box sitting beside a small powered subwoofer. They make beautiful music together! After listening to the 1808 my Fostex 168z sounds slightly veiled.

How low is your high pass crossover for the 1808 and do you use any shelving to tame the highs. These do have a significantly rising high frequency response....more than the Fostex 168EZ that makes the 168 sound "veiled" compared to 1808.

>>> How low is your high pass crossover for the 1808 and do you use any shelving to tame the highs. These do have a significantly rising high frequency response...

I run the driver full out without any circuit. In order to get the sound I like most I play with toe in. I'd guess about 10 degree for this driver works for me. It's still always a bit bright but open and clear sounding. Subwoofer needed for best results when using the 1808 in a small sealed box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.