Tang Band W8-1772 Impressions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, that's a reason I've asked. I think I can guess by the answer, but would you mind to elaborate? It's not out of idle curiosity - for me the imaging is critically important.
Thanks,
VadimB

After Saturday's meeting I'll be moving them back upstairs and will compare the soundstage depth with corner placement versus with them pulled out to a more typical three feet from the back wall and two feet from the sidewalls. I'll report on the differences.

>>> People (especially salespeople) forget that proper positioning gets you better results than $5K speaker cables.

Great point Pit! Personally i've evolved past all the cable stuff. But good cables are an important part of the process. Some roll off the highs others don't... some are neutral. VERY expensive silver/gold cables never resonated with me. Give me a nice copper cable anytime. Current preference 16 guage. I bought a 500 foot spool and use liberally.

Even without hearing it, the new TB full range must sound excellent! There more basic drivers are always great and have a 'family' sound that's very easy on the ears. Their metal drivers have more zing than their paper ones. Current favorite is the 4" bamboo:

http://www.zillaaudio.com/tb-1320-bamboo.htm

But the 8" drivers really look like an all out attack on the top ranks of Fostex and the entry level ranks of Lowther/AER etc... I just wish they were half the price they are right now.

Godzilla

Last edited:
...and as to megabuck silver/gold cables: silver HAS lower resistance than copper - somewhere in the one digit % range. Any change of the weather will have more influence on the drivers´ Qes. Using them in tube amps might be a different can of worms and I won´t open it...primadonnas, tube amps are.

Fred, it´s horses for courses. People (especially salespeople) forget that proper positioning gets you better results than $5K speaker cables.:spin:

You also need to be very careful with cables. I had a run-in with a 1-1/4" diameter carpet snake with a forked tongue at an audio meet a couple of years ago that almost cost me my life. :eek:
Lone Star Bottleheads Audio Photo Gallery - 01/14/2006 - Houston/30

For what it's worth, I've found that Belden 5000 series cable is more resolving than zip cord, and that's what I use as the internal wiring in all my speakers including the Brines Acoustics TT-2000's. The 12ga version is available from Blue Jeans Cable for 52 cents/ft. Speaker Cable at Blue Jeans Cable

For what it's worth, I've found that Belden 5000 series cable <snip>

Hmm...that's familiar looking stuff. Here's the 10 gauge.

Attachments

• IMG_3151.jpg
    IMG_3151.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,118
Mine was 50 cents a foot when I bought the roll. 50 cents Canadian that is.

Pretty fine wire, there's over 60 strands in the 10 gauge.

Thats some good stuff, i should send you a set of my new speaker cables that i'm building cal i bet you would like them :)

I already have 6 ppl getting a set each to test out and 3 pairs sold :)

J'

I know we're way off topic and I apologize but Jason, if you want some of this wire, send me an email.

I got more wire than you think i do, no need for that stuff :)

I was letting you know you could borrow a set of my audio cables if you wanted to test out :)

J'

Now back on topic :):D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.