Tang Band W8-1772 Impressions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is what's left from my 90x90cm baffles:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The new crossover frequency is 350hz (W8-1772 goes flat to 300hz without any EQ). With this design midrange sounds more open and much cleaner then before. The soundstage has grown in all dimensions. Bass has lost 3-4 db's, but that's not a big problem with an active setup.

Hi.

I intend to try out the W8-1772 or W8-1808 and use it as a single unit. No woofer etc.. Primarily I want to evaluate the midrange and top. I do not want to spend too much energy in building enclosures, for the testing purpose.

Can anyone recommend a simple enclosure design for this purpose? Bass reflex, horn or...?

Best regards.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is what's left from my 90x90cm baffles:

The new crossover frequency is 350hz (W8-1772 goes flat to 300hz without any EQ). With this design midrange sounds more open and much cleaner then before. The soundstage has grown in all dimensions. Bass has lost 3-4 db's, but that's not a big problem with an active setup.

Looks great! What are you using for the sub woofer and what is your OB baffle width and height?

How does it sound?

Hello everybody,
I can't choose between 2 drivers: Tang Banв W8 1772 (Neo) (PartsExpress) and AudioNirvana 10' (ferrite)
I'll be really appreciate if you guys can help me to choose. I read a lots info but very different review

Please recommend something if somebody have experience with both speakers

Thank you
Alex

Joined 2008
Paid Member
TB vs AN

Hello everybody,
I can't choose between 2 drivers: Tang Banв W8 1772 (Neo) (PartsExpress) and AudioNirvana 10' (ferrite)
I'll be really appreciate if you guys can help me to choose. I read a lots info but very different review

Please recommend something if somebody have experience with both speakers

Thank you
Alex

I have had experience with both the 1772's and the Super-Cast Frame 10.
IMO the Tang Bands are far, far superior.

Vanity shot: This is the latest speaker I built using the W8-1772. The veneer is kewazinga (rotary cut Bubinga) finished with Formby's Tung Oil Finish.

Bob

Attachments

• Kewazinga.jpg
    Kewazinga.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 926
Joined 2008
Paid Member
1772 as in a mid range (only)

Interesting thread.

I've been keeping my eye on the 1772 and 1808 for a while now, waiting until I have a bit of spare cash to buy a pair, hoping to finally find a modern driver to fill a similar role to my Coral Flat 8 II's, (terrific drivers, but can't get any more to build new projects...) and having been mightily disappointed a few years ago with the FE206E/FE207E as possible substitutes, I'm understandably cautious. (Anyone want a barely used pair of FE207E ? :D )

However although I'm happy with what I've seen and read about these two Tang band drivers, I can't decide between the 1772 and the 1808.

At first glance the difference appears to be just the motor design (high sensitivity low Q vs low sensitivity high Q) with the same cone design used - much like the difference between an FE206E and an FE207E, however closer inspection of the frequency response and impedance curves suggests that the cones are not the same as there are significant differences in the response from 1Khz upwards. (Quoted moving mass is also different)

I'm not talking about one having more of an upwards sloping treble than the other, I'm talking about significant bumps in dips in the response being at different frequencies between the two models, suggesting differences in cone damping/treatment.

I have a number of potential different applications in mind depending on the actual measured performance of the drivers - true full range in a bass reflex, 2 way bass reflex with a ribbon tweeter and fairly high crossover point, and wide range high sensitivity midrange driver in a small (approx 10 litre) sealed midrange enclosure as part of a large multi-way system. (covering about 250Hz to 4Khz)

Obviously the low Q 1772 isn't that well suited to a bass reflex design unless you can accept a rather small box with a very high cut-off frequency, meaning that for any of the bass reflex designs the 1808 is probably the only choice. I also notice the 1808 has a 5mm xmax while the 1772 is 3mm. (Mind you the Coral's are only about 3mm and produce surprisingly good bass)

I don't intend to be making any backloaded horns, so the only potential use for the 1772 for me might be in the wide range midrange driver application where it would be in a 10 litre sealed enclosure and crossed over at 250Hz to a woofer. (With the lower Q model having less peaking at its fundamental resonance in the small enclosure, perhaps avoiding the need for an RLC resonance compensator in the crossover ?)

For the wide range midrange driver application excursion isn't as much of an issue and smoothness of the midrange and in particular the upper midrange is of paramount importance, and it's here that the 1772 looks a bit smoother than the 1808 based on the spec sheets, but is this really the case or are we just seeing unit to unit variations in the measurements ?

My current Coral drivers have T/S parameters that more closely match the 1808 than the 1772, and are currently in a 45 litre box tuned to 43Hz, giving an early gradual roll off response that is about 6dB down at 40Hz not counting room gain. SIM's for the 1808 don't look as favourable as the Coral driver with a bit less extension and sensitivity for the same box size, but are within the same ball park.

So is there anyone who has both the 1772 and 1808 who has measured their response, or can comment on the relative smoothness of the midrange of the two models ? Are the cones identical or are there subtle differences ? How about the surround ? Do they both have low inductance copper shorting rings ? What is different about the motor design, other than the field strength and gap height ?

For maximum versatility the 1808 seems to be the better choice, has greater xmax, and is still about the same sensitivity as my Coral's, (well, 1dB less) but if the midrange is not as smooth as the 1772 then I'm a little bit torn.

If they're as good as they appear to be I'll probably build more than one of the above projects eventually.

Any suggestions ? I can't really afford a pair of both models at the moment.

As usual, your postings and ideas are superb. I use this driver in a front loaded horn, for a mid range only. Superb results. High Five, sir :)

Tang Band W8-1772 Fronts, and Center Channel

These were a labor of love.

I'm very pleased with the way the cabinets turned out, and they sound wonderful as well. The imaging and vocal presence are especially remarkable. The cabinet materials are padauk and brass. They are tuned to 48Hz and the internal volume is about 1.6 cu. ft. I applied a 1.3mH / 3.3 Ohm baffle step correction to both the fronts and the center.

A special thanks to Mr. Brines, for inspiring me with his work.

Attachments

• front_1.jpg
    front_1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 600
  • front_2.jpg
    front_2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 578
  • center_1.jpg
    center_1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 569
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.