Tang Band W3-881SI line array problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Great ideas here to "fix" the array. To isolate the 1 driver, you could maybe use pvc pipe to create the chamber for the dedicated midrange if the back of the cabinet is removable or add a "shelf" to isolate it (that would be assuming the usage of the top most driver as the midrange). A nice super tweeter up top would probably look great - I've personally always like the look of this one.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thats interesting that you say that the drivers would work best in a sealed box. When I modeled the response with WinISD it calculated an EBP of 148, which from my understanding is very much suited for a ported enclosure. The enclosure volume and port dimensions were all modeled using the T/S parameters of the drivers. Bass performance is not the problem that I am hearing with anyway. They have plenty of low range and kick. Its just the mids and highs that need work.

You'll see many people say that these drivers can't do bass. From what I have seen, those people are typically people who have a) not used the drivers, or b) only used them in small, sealed boxes (due to accepted wisdom, I guess).

Several of us around here, though, have put these drivers in larger, ported transmission lines, etc. and have been completely blown away by the amount of bass they can produce. What I have learned is that you need to take everything with a grain of salt, regardless the accepted wisdom.

I have no doubt that your array has plenty of bass, because I am only running a single driver in each of my towers and the bass is deep and rich. Not capable of ear-bleeding SPL, but that wasn't a design goal.

Cure that comb filtering issue and you will have a kick-*** set of speakers.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
you can rescue this project by putting a tweeter on top of the array...

well, I have not read whole thread and not seen all the picture, so if the array is so tall, attach the tweeter on the side in apropriate height ( I have done it to my straight line array a while ago, it improved things a lot)

Last edited:
ummm... the bass' relative level remains the same regardless of the number of drivers used, save for mutual coupling effects, for the same type of enclosure and the same alignment.

I have heard MJK's own TQWT, and it did produce nice bass from a Fostex (iirc) driver, a 5 1/4" (probably?). But this is a ported design, not a TQWT. It's not the same thing.

In case it wasn't clear, turning the OP's cabinets upside for a test causes the floor bounce issue to more or less go away...

I'm thinking he's hearing a LOT of null due to floor bounce in the lower mids, upper bass...

_-_-

since the money is spent, the drivers are there, I recommend to make ONE big array reusing all the drivers, and with the drivers touching each other. Don't bother finishing the enclosure, just make it a raw experiment. With the sound originating from a much higher line source the effect of standing up will be far less. And with the drivers touching there will be less combing.
If this has a good result (and it is well possible), then you can see whether you want to buy another set of drivers to make a pair.

I am not convinced that adding a tweeter is the best approach. The dispersion characteristic will be very different from the cilindrical dispersion of the array.

+1 for building a longer array. I'd anticipate it would work considerably better, although some Eq will probably still be required to balance the top end SPLs. The slightly rising response on the 881 might help a little with this. Either that, or rebuild the current boxes with the drivers touching to minimise the interference, again add some Eq if desired for the top end, & accept that they're not ideal speakers for listening to music while wombling around the room. ;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.