Tang Band W3-1335s 3" Titanium Cone Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DSP_Geek said:
Xmax = 0.5 mm? Cross it over 300 Hz minimum.

Francois.

I kind of agree depending on what kind of listening levels and bandwidth the driver is covering.
I recall there was a spreadsheet somewhere that sort of asociate Xmax with power and driver size.

If you use a small Xmax, it might test flat at 1W to lower frequencies, but at higher power levels they will roll off at the low end.

Thats cool to know.I see anthony gallo is making plenty of money on them.

Does the midrange of the titanium drivers sound more detailed-cleaner?

I have had the bamboo 3' drivers and thought they were a little too smooth for me in the midrange.But they did give a balanced presentation .May
be i did not give them enough time to fully break in.

Then you might give the Titanium TB a try. I've been hoping for a round-up style review of the new TB drivers like Zaph frequently does. I'm thinking of what to do for another sound system in a bedroom back at home (while the big system is here in my dorm room) and I'm looking heavily into the promise of single driver speakers. I might mate them with a tiny, tiny subwoofer like the Tang Band 5" high-excursion one in a TL enclosure.

RogerWilco said:
Thats cool to know.I see anthony gallo is making plenty of money on them.

Does the midrange of the titanium drivers sound more detailed-cleaner?

I have had the bamboo 3' drivers and thought they were a little too smooth for me in the midrange.But they did give a balanced presentation .May
be i did not give them enough time to fully break in.

gallo's a joke BTW...

the "high class bose"

but the ti's sounded a bit sharper in the midrange and top end

Hi guys,

The xmax on that tangband is indeed rated at 0.5mm. There is a more interesting driver from that titanium cone series, the W3-1231SH which has a 1.25mm xmax rating. It has caught my attention for some time now, and i believe there was a thread i started here some time back discussing this driver. the bad news is that it is not selling in the US anywhere still. I personally bought 4 of these drivers for myself some time back at 30USD each (sorry, no time to try them out yet).

A very kind guy from another forum managed to do some klippel testing on the 1231SH. I'm still waiting on praxis distortion/energy storage testing results as well. But here's the klippel output:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It shows more than 3mm clean one way excursion. needless to say i am very happy with this, it will play a lot lower than i thought it would. I have every reason to believe that tangband has a policy of underrating their driver xmax. So chances are the 1335 will fare quite well too i think

BAM said:
Then you might give the Titanium TB a try. I've been hoping for a round-up style review of the new TB drivers like Zaph frequently does. I'm thinking of what to do for another sound system in a bedroom back at home (while the big system is here in my dorm room) and I'm looking heavily into the promise of single driver speakers. I might mate them with a tiny, tiny subwoofer like the Tang Band 5" high-excursion one in a TL enclosure.

To get good bass performance, you need Xmax over 1mm (2mm p-p). We've done some tests showing that although smaller Xmax go low at about 1W power, in real life they don't go that low at higher power because of Xmax limitation. One unit that we will be putting on the market early next year can go as low as 50Hz at reasonable listening levels. Good for bedrooms.

blackreplica said:
Hi guys,

The xmax on that tangband is indeed rated at 0.5mm. There is a more interesting driver from that titanium cone series, the W3-1231SH which has a 1.25mm xmax rating. It has caught my attention for some time now, and i believe there was a thread i started here some time back discussing this driver. the bad news is that it is not selling in the US anywhere still. I personally bought 4 of these drivers for myself some time back at 30USD each (sorry, no time to try them out yet).

A very kind guy from another forum managed to do some klippel testing on the 1231SH. I'm still waiting on praxis distortion/energy storage testing results as well. But here's the klippel output:

It shows more than 3mm clean one way excursion. needless to say i am very happy with this, it will play a lot lower than i thought it would. I have every reason to believe that tangband has a policy of underrating their driver xmax. So chances are the 1335 will fare quite well too i think

I recall a thread some time back that this was the best of 8 TB 3"drivers he listened to.

blackreplica said:
audiophilenoob, if you want to get that speaker, you'll have to get em direct from tangband. there is no one in the US who stocks them unfortunately. just send them an email (from their website) and tell them you want to buy the speaker (they do direct sales worldwide)

would they send me a sample?

I'm looking to buy something like around 1000 of these

the bamboo was my choice until the point...

anyway I'll shoot them an email thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.