TABAQ TL for Tangband

The drawing is a little confusing. What are the port dimensions?

9.7cm.

Original design has the port running flat along the floor of the enclosure. Leaving a narrowed part at the rear. This acts to lower port tuning below that intended, I believe.

The new arrangement bends the port up through the middle of the enclosure more accurately match the model.

The square area under the "5.5cm" is a box/right angle of ply/mdf to form the rear port wall and bottom of the main enclosure.

General rule of thumb for drivers:

3" Fs 100 Hz, Qts 0.6 or higher. 100 gram of stuffing.
4" Fs 75 Hz, Qts 0.35 or higher. 60 gram of stuffing.

I have not tested that many different drivers in TABAQ, however the sims shows the guidelines above are not critical. Many different drivers are suited - TABAQ likes high Qts drivers.

I have used drivers with Fs 110 Hz with good results.

Hi
Bjørn

Port example

This also a way to make the port. Made by a foam insulation tube.

Hope this will clarify how the port is ment to be. I used this to test stuffing as the back panel was easy to remove as you can see.

Bjørn

Attachments

• Prototype.jpg
    Prototype.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 1,003
Bit of a misuse of a TABAQ

Well, first I built TABAQ with TG9FD drivers. With very hard selection of measurement locations the measurements looked quite ok.
But, in the final placement in my kitchen, the result was not ok, for two reasons, which I will tell here.
The firs one: bass response.
TABAQ had some recommendations:
3 inch driver should have a Qts around 0.5 or higher and Fs not higher than 100 Hz.
4 inch driver should have a Qts around 0.4 - 0.35 and Fs not higher than 75 Hz.
After some frustrations, I checked my TG9FD drivers, and find that their Fs was actually 125Hz. No wonder why not so good low end bass...
The second reason: dispersion in high treble.... which was basically already known, as in this particular usage, I did need some 30...40 degrees listening range. Meaning, very difficult requirement for a 3" fullranger.
Finally, I could have lived with the limited dispersion (TG9 is not the worst in this category), but the bass response was really lacking.

Solution for my requirements (which is really for this particular placement and needs, please don't apply or compare for the original TABAQ design)
So, I did change the main driver for Visaton W100S midfoower, and added a DT94 dome tweeter.
And, for the best of TABAQ design, the W100S gives really strong and deep bass sound in that cabinet. For the treble dispersion, 1" dome is of course always completely different when compared to 3" fullranger.
With this radical design change, I of course lost the pinpoint stereo image and coherency what full range drivers bring, but for my specific application this works better (while working in kitchen, you are not staying in one exact position..). And the TABAQ enclosure now really shines in the bass territory. Have to say, it really rocks. Maybe Bjorn could make some sims, as WS100 might make for wide range, but naturally it needs tweeter above 3..5k...?

Br, E

Hello all,
This has been a very interesting thread, and I look forward to building a TABAQ TL speaker enclosure for a first speaker box build.

We live in an apartment where the neighbours aren't huge fans of base, so I am leaning toward the 2" mini tabaq folded version. Currently I am using a Bose MiniSoundlink for for the sound for our TV. I know its not HiFi, but it still is much better than the 40" TV's sound, which I just bought over Boxing week. I am wondering if the 2" mini TABAQ will provide better sound compared to the mini soundlink, which I actually am quite happy with.

Not looking for HiFi, just a build project and better sound than the bose.

Regards, Willem

I ordered some W4-1052SD today and plan to build a pair of TABAQs.
I plan to build it using 19mm mdf since that's what I have at hand. I guess that's fine as long as the internal dimensions are correct.
Then I started thinking about the port I guess it will be longer if I use 19mm mdf on the part marked on the sketch. Do I have to use 12mm here to get correct port lenght and volume or is it ok with 19mm?

Attachments

• My understanding of TABAQ TL-Model.jpg
    My understanding of TABAQ TL-Model.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 773