TABAQ TL for Tangband

Looking up Daphile right now.

Looks cool. I like the fact it can use convolution files. Nice.

What kind of computer do you have in that box?
Think it could work on a Raspberry Pi?
It's a board from a HP ProBook laptop. The screen was broken so decided to use the board in this project.
44df4b657f27b8047519059de2327b58.jpg

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk

I got enough of my little Bluetooth speaker and decided to have fun and bring the TABAQ at the beach for last weekend's camping-at-the-beach get-together.

The TABAQs were a hit! Powered by a 3116 mini amp, hooked to a 12v car battery, the whole thing went on the whole weekend without skipping a beat!

Just for fun, here is a short clip on a bass heavy reggae track, just showing the potential of those little TABAQs! BSC added but no other EQ. Recorded with my cellphone...

https://www.facebook.com/jeff.greffe/videos/10154217064696635/

Thanks X... always fun at the beach, even when no waves...

patonga,
I did try a little like that by laying them on the side and stacking the one box on top of the other. Kinda like a boombox. Last weekend, they were separate, though.

And yes, we do get some waves, but it's rarely epic, at that beach anyway! It's flat because it is summer now... gotta wait for a typhoon (cyclone) passing by, then we have a chance to surf in summer. Best season is early spring, early before the wind picks up. Here are a couple of pics taken at that beach.

Attachments

• IMG_6076.jpg
    IMG_6076.jpg
    932 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_5961.jpg
    IMG_5961.jpg
    883.9 KB · Views: 610
And again, once more, a huge thanks to Bjørn for sharing this design.

Brought the TABAQs to the beach again, and they were a hit!
Even the guy who had bought a more than $300 Bose boombox, put his away to listen to the TABAQs.

Since the pair of TABAQs cost me a little over $60, including the amp, I'd say that is a great ratio of quality vs price!

I know the Bose wins in terms of portability, but since I have the space, I don't mind.

I would recommend Dayton ND105-8 and the Dayton ND20FA or 20FB tweeters. (I know, you didn't ask that... )

For crossovers, simplest option would be to get a generic 12Db set off eBay and tweak the response with an additional resistor (in the tweeter feed).

Whether that would work well enough is the question....

J.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
How much would the crossover need adjusted if these were put in a Tabaq?

The Quarks - M.O.S.D. Computer Speaker - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Thanks,
Mike

If you make the Tabaq baffle the same width as the quark and out the tweeter at the same spacing, the XO will pretty much work in the Tabaq bit now allow deeper bass extension than the 100Hz of the quarks. You can always adjust the padding resistor to get the balance right. That XO is minimum phase with a clean impulse. Not easy to get. Should sound nice.

If you make the Tabaq baffle the same width as the quark and out the tweeter at the same spacing, the XO will pretty much work in the Tabaq bit now allow deeper bass extension than the 100Hz of the quarks. You can always adjust the padding resistor to get the balance right. That XO is minimum phase with a clean impulse. Not easy to get. Should sound nice.

Thanks X! I bought a handful of the drivers for the Quarks. I just might give it a try before too long.
:)

I would recommend Dayton ND105-8 and the Dayton ND20FA or 20FB tweeters. (I know, you didn't ask that... )

For crossovers, simplest option would be to get a generic 12Db set off eBay and tweak the response with an additional resistor (in the tweeter feed).

Whether that would work well enough is the question....

J.

Oops.... Just revisited my ND105 version.... I'd increased the line length to 90cm. :eek: from 78...

Hi All,
I am a happy TABAQ user for past couple of years. Thanks Bjohn for the generous sharing. Yesterday I happened to see a acoustic amplifier, - the sort used to amplify smartphone on the go.I am placing a curious question for the experts here. What will happen if we attach a small horn ( made with a foam core) at the vent, ?In that way will the vent opening act as a throat and can we have a combo of Horn and MLTL?Thanks in advance.

Amp Camp Amp for TABAQ?

Hi Guys,

I'm building a set of TABAQ with Tangband W3-871B.

Next I am planning to build an amp for these speakers. Would the Amp Camp Amp be suitable, or does TABAQ "need" more watts to sound good?

An LM3886 or LM4780 chip amp would probably be a nice project as well.

I understand that a 2 channel chip amp could be built for less money than the ACA, but that the financial aspect is not my main concern.

Right now, the ACA is my preferred choice, unless it is not a good match for the TABAQs.

I'd appreciate your opinions / advice / experiences.

Laurens

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think Sanwu TDA8932 monblock or Sanwu TPA3118D2 PBTL monoblock amp are best amp for this application. Great deep powerful bass and smooth clear mids and highs.

TDA7297 class AB chip amp with upgraded mods (better low ESR power rail cap, 1.5uF input film caps, remove pot, remove diode, remove 110pF cap) as suggested per "Lunch money amp" thread is also great. Again, deep powerful bass.

I have the ACA and I don't believe it has enough power for lower senstivity design like a TABAQ with a 85dB with -3dB BSC (circa 82dB overall sensitiivity).

A speaker with circa 90dB sensitivity is what you need with ACA.

Certainly LM386 can work well too but overkill in power area.

I'm using the ACA with tabaq, and listening at quite short distance. I think that works very well. More than enough power and most importantly, sounds really good.

I have never heard any of the mentioned sanwu amps, but I have a 2.1 TPA3116 amp that I've also used with the tabaq. I prefer the ACA, but both setups sounded good.

My tabaqs are built with w3-1878 drivers.