TABAQ TL for Tangband

As an introduction, you can get Dayton's zma and frd files for that driver and get the free XO simulator, Xsim (it's here at DIYAudio).

That will not give you real world data of the driver mounted on your baffle and in your room, but it's quite good practice.

I'll probably do exactly that... then we can compare findings! :)

Happy New Year Eve!

Oh, I don't miss my Canadian days.... I'm from Montreal, and they also have it cold this year.

I lost my Canadian skin, and now, when it drops under +20C, I have to wear a thick sweater!

A very quick try with that Dayton driver, with 2nd order XO and a BSC on both shows some promises...

Stay warm!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 12.27.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 12.27.09 PM.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 482
Hope you had fun! To cold here to celebrate.
I am playing with XSim running on WINE. Well Crossover (just realized the pun, but not intentional) which is the paid version, using their trial. Works great on the Mac as you stated. As I work through this I am pretty sure and committed to running with the CX120 in the TABAQ if I can get the XO/BSC where I am happy.

CX120-8 dissapointment

I'm no expert, Bjørn is!

I have tested many local drivers in the TABAQ, so I have a little idea of what works and what doesn't.

The RS100 looks good on paper, except for the falling higher end at an angle, so, this drivers has some beaming "tendencies".

Reports earlier on the thread (search for RS100) say that the driver reaches down low, but lacks a bit on the higher end... probably due to the beaming.

Ah! Sorry. I haven't seen the new Dayton offerings, but they do have a 4" version of that coax driver.

Dayton Audio CX120-8 4" Coaxial Driver with 3/4" Silk Dome Tweeter 8 Ohm

Happy New Year to all.
As for CX120-8, there is a thread about a big (in my oppinion) issue and a link to youtube
Dayton Audio joins the coaxial game. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

I believe it is useless for TABAQ (at least)

Elias

Elias,

Thank you very much for the heads up.

Indeed, it looks like trouble. They say they can hear the noise up to 400Hz. So, that makes it a 500Hz to 20kHz wide range driver.

And not looking good for the TABAQ, or any closed/vented box design.

Too bad. On paper that driver looked great.

And Happy New Year to you guys as well!

Need help interpreting the response graphs for foam TABAQ

Hi,
completed building a foam core board enclosure. Using a Dayton Audio iMM-6 mic and the ARTA software got these graphs but not sure if they make any sense, would appreciate any help I can get in interpreting them.
For stuffing used the polyster fibres from a pillow.
The mic was placed about a meter in front of the speaker.
First speaker build, so please pardon my ignorance.

thanks.

Attachments

• tabaq foam 1.png
    tabaq foam 1.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 461
  • tabaq foam 2.png
    tabaq foam 2.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 464
How did you measure the first and second graph to have different curves? The first one would drive me nuts with that spike at 1kHz.

Also, your foam core enclosure is very leaky, but the looks of the lack of bass from that TB 5" driver. I doubt foam core is appropriate for this size of a driver and the pressure generated, unless you triple the amount of foam core boards... then, maybe... perhaps... not completely sure.

X builds a lot of foam core models, but they are usually for 3" drivers, and he adds a lot of bracing as well, even for such small drivers. I don't believe foam core is appropriate for a TABAQ Large.

How did you measure the first and second graph to have different curves? The first one would drive me nuts with that spike at 1kHz.

Also, your foam core enclosure is very leaky, but the looks of the lack of bass from that TB 5" driver. I doubt foam core is appropriate for this size of a driver and the pressure generated, unless you triple the amount of foam core boards... then, maybe... perhaps... not completely sure.

X builds a lot of foam core models, but they are usually for 3" drivers, and he adds a lot of bracing as well, even for such small drivers. I don't believe foam core is appropriate for a TABAQ Large.

Thanks for that feedback. I am not sure if I am doing it right - I record some generated pink noise.
Would 0.53x Karlsonator be appropriate to try this driver with a foam enclosure?

Last edited: