Systemdek Tune Up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

This is a classic case of a MM sounding more at home in a less than
stellar arm than a MC, MCs tend to never sound "comfortable" in such.

A rubber mat compared to felt ? In my experience if the arm treble
resonance performance is good enough, with felt and rubber you
can hear that the rubber controls the energy going into the record
(mostly treble because of RIAA) so sounds slightly duller / cleaner.
But felt may suit certain systems better, being brighter / livelier.

If not done, araldite the main bearing and wood glue the armboard.

:)/sreten.

Hi

This may not apply in a "systemdek" thread, but I will continue the story here about the upgrade of my vinyl set-up. This time, it's about the upgraded Hagerman Bugle. The stock unit is pretty good, but I was curious about increasing performance with better passive parts. I rebuilt a brand new unit using these substitutions:

-Change all the standard caps (Panasonic PP) for Audiocaps RT polystyrene caps

-Change all Yageo metal film resistors for Roederstein MK3 metal film (I guess this is not an increase in quality, but they were available and cheap)

-Change nickel RCA's for Vampire Gold plated RCA's

- 18 gage silver wire for the wiring (but the circuit is still the same PCB, so I doubt that this makes much difference).

- And a switch to select 40-50 dB of gain

- Solder directly the Op-amps instead of using nickel sockets

I did some listening with only 2-3 hours break-in. I have not made serious A/B listening and the sound may improve with time, but I must say that although I'm not sure to hear clear differences, It seems to me that this set-up has never sounded better. The sound is really nice, and i feel like i'm hearing the source material clearly. Again, the AT440ML cart is real nice i think.
I've listened to vinyls all day, and I'm quite pleased. I now need to buy more records!

I will try to continue to improve the table later, but for now, I think I will keep it like this for a few weeks and simply enjoy!
F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.