System Pictures & Description

planet10 said:

A little effort to understandof the mechanical & chemical properties of a capacitor would go a long way to understanding why break-in can be real.

The process of the dielectric "breaking down" starts the 1st time electrons starting flowing thru it -- so it is changing for its entire life.

dave

Actually, electrons don't flow through the dielectric, if they did, it wouldn't be a dielectric, it'd be a conductor; they polarize it to some potential determined by external electromotive force (usually expressed in volts). Unless the construction relies on an anodic coating formed in the presence of an electrolyte (tantalum, aluminum, etc. electrolytics) the properties of the dielectric should be stable wrt applied force up to the catastrophic breakdown potential. Not sure why non-electrolytics should have any sort of breakin. They don't "continually degrade" through their lifespan. There is no mechanism for this to occur.

John L.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Cal Weldon said:

No, I believe we all do. Some are better than others at realizing it.

When I was a kid everything sounded amazing. The speakers I built with woofers from ancient juke boxes and console TV's mounted in a giant cedar chest with a passive radiator made from 1/4" plywood and a rubber inner tubes sounded awesome. As I got older, my taste has refined; I'm at the point now almost everything sounds mediocre. And that's a day-to-day thing also, depending on my mood. Sometimes I hear music, sometimes it's just noise.
I am over 40, and I don't lie to myself that my hearing is not a sharp as it once was. I can't really hear frequencies above 11k at normal listening levels anymore. My occupation has dulled my hearing and turned my ears to cloth.
Hey Dave, maybe that's why I can't tell the difference when my caps are installed backwards!
Youth is indeed wasted on the young.

:mad: :mad: :)

These are my efforts thus far.
Altec 288c on a tractrix horn 0.5-18khz
Midbass Horn with eminence beta ten 60-500hz
Dayton RS HIFI 12" in critical Q sealed boxes. 30-60hz

Pioneer PL-518 Turntable. It does the job.
nakamichi crossover
Nad integrated receiver for the upper horns. Sanyo receiver for the midbass horns, and 200wpc adcom for the woofers.

The eq is just for show.

The sound is very good. Amply loud and since the addition of the midbass horns, quite clear.

Tade

Attachments

• allthree.jpg
    allthree.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 4,831
MJL21193 said:

When I was a kid everything sounded amazing. The speakers I built with woofers from ancient juke boxes and console TV's mounted in a giant cedar chest with a passive radiator made from 1/4" plywood and a rubber inner tubes sounded awesome. As I got older, my taste has refined; I'm at the point now almost everything sounds mediocre. And that's a day-to-day thing also, depending on my mood. Sometimes I hear music, sometimes it's just noise.

Sound like a letter of Paul to the Corinthians (or was it those rascally Phillippians?):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's not so easy to get the whole picture well in one curve with such a loudspeaker, maybe I should have enlarged the distance a bit...

I also will try a steeper filter on the woofers, but they sure sound fantastic. :angel:

Measured my previous sub with Precision Devices PD-101S custombuilt 10" drivers in TL too, but in real life they're not ideal mates...

Here's a graph:

Attachments

• pd zonder filter.png
    pd zonder filter.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 2,828