• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

symphonic-mpd

I google-translated the thread about publishing the sources so I could read it. I think you are making too much of it. It doesn't have to be perfect and complete right away. If you wait until everything is really perfect before you publish, it will take forever. Just publish one part at a time. And don't put many things in the same repo.

Have you been tracking your changes to for example mpd with git?

I wanted to simply post my experience of using s-mpd, not in measurably objective terms, but through my completely subjective impressions, with my system.

I started using a pi, oh about 4 months ago. I still use wtfplay in the PC source system driving a Gustard U-12 DDC. On the pi, I started off with and enjoyed archphile. That went down about 3 weeks ago, so I tried Moode. Both of these allow you to run a locally attached HDD to your player, using a rpi4. Both are very good. I have to commend Moode for being a very solid player that I understand has been around for years, and for its SQ - which I found to be very good. I suspect that both qualities are critical for a software player to be widely adopted over the long term.

With s-mpd I had to constuct a NAS using a rpi3B+ with a locally attached HDD. At first I had tried to set up another instance of mpd and use s-mpd to tap into the database of that other instance. I don't know enough about linux and networking, indeed have only started, and I must have been doing it all wrong as I was not able to make it work.

Ironically I found out all I had to do was set up a NAS, with the rpi3B+ with a locally attached HDD and share that over the network, and then I could go on to s-mpd.

It was harder to find out what I had to do to set up a NAS than set up s-mpd.

Anyways, all good now. s-mpd all up and working on the rpi4 with a pi2design 502DAC (precursor to pi2AES) used as an AES-EBU transport. Keces linear power supply on the HAT.

I have seen the phrase "no trace of digititis" used for every latest digital gadget since I got into this hobby 30 years ago, and until now I never really considered it could apply to anything I heard over the long term. But with s-mpd, I find that there is so much less glare that I am thinking that is what everyone must have been talking about. The naturalness of this player is something else.

Pitch definition over the low register - big check.

Transient definitiion, low level information, micro dynamics - all these qualities overlap with the next. Big check.

Silence between notes - big check.

Sense of acoustic space - its there and deeper and wider and better.

Sense of musicians actually playing. I am very sensitive to this as I play the piano and grew up with musicians. I can hear how the musicians are playing the music. Ever so subtle inflexions in how and when and how hard they play the note. Can hear it,

My listening room is also my work space. When I am working on the day job - I sit 5 feet away and stare straight into the speaker driver as I work in my desk and hear music, and not a speaker.

GUI - super easy. Goldilocks right. Not too simple, not too much. Everything I want and need laid out that's so easy to use.

Web interface. I just type the ip address into my android, my HP laptop, and my iphone, and I am in s-mpd with the same GUI.

Low level listening vs high level listening. Both so enjoyable that I just relax into listening and I am not driven to ask myself to tweak the paramer. That is of course except when OCD kicks in and because I know that disabling sw volume control is better, I revert to disabling volume control on the pi. We are audiophools after all.

Spotify - it comes up on my iphone as a device s-mpd. So I can use my iphone as a remote for the mpd player and for spotify.

I will be really sad if this does not go on to become a long term player. I would be happy to contribute to this. Just can't read the Japanese in the site to find my way to the contribution page if its there.

More power to this software. I hope more users find it. This is turning out to be a very big step forward in my quest for better sound!!!

Jay

Hi JoseM,

About 6 months ago I did a survey of club members.
I received responses from about 10% of the members at the time.
On the question of the number of years of experience in music, including instrumental music, voice, and composition, 55% of the respondents said they had more than 10 years of experience.
Users with a strong musical obsession like them give us honest feedback on symphonic-mpd's sound quality.

Your positive feedback has encouraged me. Thank you.

It is obvious that placing the clock right next to the codecs and slaving the I2S yields best results, a common sense which everybody understands, no "confirmation" required. Also traces from the Broadcom SoC via the GPIO header are quite suboptimal for clocking purposes.

The goal is measuring real performance of the PLL'd/no-MASH output at the GPIO header and comparing to direct clock results ( AFAIU a measurement of FIFO-reclocked output is being planned/perhaps already underway). For now the subtask is actually reconfiguring one of the PLLs on RPi4 which apparently is not so simple as on RPi3. But I need to learn the RPi4 clock structure and the overall device tree configuration anyway, so I like the exercise.

So. FYI.

phofman finally got it black on white over @rpi-forums..

If you need jitter-free I2S clocks, then use an I2S codec that can drive the clock as a master from its own internal crystal/PLL.

Basically what I've been saying all along. ;)

Enjoy.
This is, as phofman also writes, so obvious that any "confirmation" is just redundant.
Did you actually read the posts in that thread? Probably not, because then you would have known that the question wasn't about that.

@パパリウス さま
@くぼた さま

It's fascinating to read this DeltaWave comparison between SMPD and Volumio posted yesterday:
https://www.symphonic-mpd.com/forum/topic/126/deltawave/9
Would you please repeat the same test with piCorePlayer 8820Hz + LMS as linked below?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sam0402/pcp-8820hz/master/pcp610-88_96Hz-arm64.z01
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sam0402/pcp-8820hz/master/pcp610-88_96Hz-arm64.z02
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sam0402/pcp-8820hz/master/pcp610-88_96Hz-arm64.z03
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sam0402/pcp-8820hz/master/pcp610-88_96Hz-arm64.zip
"PCM Only" version of Squeezelite seemed to be the most interesting:

e2BErUJ.png

FYI - feedback from one of the users in Japan who tried that particular version of piCorePlayer 8820Hz (Raspberry Pi 4 *ONLY*) recently:
昨日完ぺきな音と表現しましたが、一日にして前言撤回です。
しかも、これまでとは比較対象にならないほどの音を聴くことになりました。
それにしても、この音は何でしょう。言葉で表現するのがもどかしい。
あえて表現すれば、どこまでも到達するようなエネルギー感と、フレッシュで、キラキラ輝く、もちろん、人生で初めて出会う音です。
あ~、もうこれ聴けたら、僕は人生が終わりでも後悔しないとでも言い切ってよいような音です。
そして、Raspberry Pi 4をお持ちでない方は、今すぐ注文すべきです。人生が変わります、確実に・・・
こんな音を出す、プレイヤーはInternational Audio Showに行ってもなくはないですか?
作者の方に、またまた感謝です。生きていてよかったと本当に思いました。

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
:cop: Translation..
@Paparius
@Kubota
I described it as a perfect sound yesterday, but in a day I withdrew my previous statement.
What's more, I've heard sounds that are incomparable to the past.
Anyway, what is this sound? It's frustrating to express in words.
If you dare to express it, it's a feeling of energy that reaches you forever, and it's a fresh, sparkling sound, and of course, the sound you'll encounter for the first time in your life.
Ah, if you listen to this, I can say that I will not regret it even if my life is over.
And if you don't have a Raspberry Pi 4, you should order it now. Life will change, surely ...
Isn't the player going to the International Audio Show to make such a sound?
Thanks again to the author. I'm really glad I was alive.