SX-Amp and NX-Amp

Attachments

• conp fans.JPG
    conp fans.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
Thimios,

You can use 550 c and 560 c also.

Normally for a power amp you don't really need low noise transistors.

Your rise time is a bit longer than mine, but I guess that's because you are using 270 pF for your comp
Today first channel was tested again(220pf compansation cap.)
Same results(1.2us),then this same channel was measured before L out. Rise time=520ns.
BTW I want recommendations about volume potentiometer value(ΚΩ)

Attachments

• DSC08074.JPG
    DSC08074.JPG
    550 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ok - that sounds more like it - my measurements were before the inductor

For the potentiometer, I would suggest 10 k is the max.

The input is a diamond buffer and you do get partial cancellation of the input bias currents. However, you may still get pot scratch noise which means you should capacitively couple the pot to the amp input.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here is how to wire a pot to the input without causing problems.

If you do not use a DC blocking cap as shown in the diagram, you will get 'pot scratch' noise after a while. And the DC source resistance will change as you adjust the pot.

If you do not have a bipolar cap, just use two electrolytics back to back - use a minimum value of ~50uF.

Attachments

• How to wire up  a pot to sx-Amp.jpg
    How to wire up a pot to sx-Amp.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Not a Lot of choices for NX PT..

I want to go with Piltron 500VA.. They have a min Charge or $250 so need 2 PT's.. possible I can pick up..

So my question is What other amp can I build? Then I can buy the PT for it..

The NX is so well Documented and with the PCB's, should make things easy:cool:

Bonsai, I like to go for the works, and build matching preamp, Symphony? looks like the PT's are on the boards.. Or can it be separate Toroidal? What Spec

Any suggestion?

Is symphony ready, what about SCA-1

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Is it not cheaper to buy a transformer from Mouser or Digikey? I bought a single 500 VA off the shelf for about $100 excl. shipping. It had split secondaries ANC split primaries 34-0-34 from Triad Magnetics.

Re the pre, both the Symphony and SCA-1 are complicated and I would need to generate a lot of documentation to be able to make them build able by someone else.

I won't make promises, but might find some time in the future to revisit the Xaltra Mini and make that build able. It does have a very good sound and I use it ( currently driving my sx-Amp and fed from my Pioneer SACD player)

Last edited:
A HOUSE FROM RECYCLED MATERIALS.

Preparing a house for sx amplifier from recycled materials and what i have on hand now.:D
A Faraday shield from an old monitor ,a big transformer from an old UPS ,two new cap banks ....

Attachments

• DSC08079.JPG
    DSC08079.JPG
    566.3 KB · Views: 401
  • DSC08080.JPG
    DSC08080.JPG
    571.5 KB · Views: 379
  • DSC08082.JPG
    DSC08082.JPG
    608.7 KB · Views: 357
  • DSC08083.JPG
    DSC08083.JPG
    623.4 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC08084.JPG
    DSC08084.JPG
    594.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Xaltra looks nice.. Maybe one day then, Thanks!

The only PT I can come up with, is Piltron or Acme..
Acme is 600VA 33-0-33 - $165
Maybe the 400VA unit on ebay is a good choice.

I've sourced some parts form china, including spec wound tube transformers.. The quality was good.. I'll see what they can do for the Toroidal for NX.

Bosai, I could, possibly help out, for getting the PCB's manufactured, for a preamp..

Last edited: