• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Swordfishy/ASPEN FETZILLA power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Syklab,

These are not easy to find. I can't really recommend any place to get them; I received mine from a good friend in Toledo OH who had them in his inventory. I would suggest any Toshiba dealer in HK would be worth a phone call; failing that, look around the US at places like BDent and Toshiba dealers.

They are definitely available, but you do have to work at it....

Cheers,

Hugh

Those are not Toshiba mosFETs.
No wonder you can't find them.

They were originally Hitachi Lateral mosFETs.
They are now made by a few companies (with different designations) and according to the datasheets all perform almost identically.

Buy Lateral mosFETs, NOT TOSHIBA.

BUT !!
being FETs they suffer the typical wide spread of parameters that are found in FETs and usually not found in BJTs.
Don't expect close matches of parameters from a small batch.
Fortunately FetZilla only uses one pair per channel and no matching is required, nor necessary.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
SEMELAB are the manufacturers of the Profusion EXICON branded and their own ALFET branded identical range of Lateral Mosfets.
ALFETS are marketed by MAGNATEC and CLASS D in the UK and Europe. FARNELL/NEWARK/ELEMENT14 distribute elsewhere, but I'm not sure that applies in all countries they service.

The problems we have with availability seem to be about distribution rights. so sidestep the nonsense and buy either brand as it comes.
Profusion's website has shown a blank lately for EXICON product, since there is no mention there and suddenly FARNELL is on the scene and the ALFET range now includes TO3 packages. Something is amiss there.

Some US guys have had better luck Gcogling SEMELAB for agencies or searching that Mosfet brand on ELEMENT 14 SITES
However, we are assured EXICON = ALFET. Part numbers are obviously different:
ECX10N20 = ALF08N20
ECX10P20 = ALF08P20
Equally suitable but cheaper 160V parts
ECX10N16 = ALF08N20
ECX10P16 = ALF08P16

Note:
1) Required TO3-P pack ALFETS need a V suffix.
2) TO3 can types are not the same as TO3-P, TO264, having a body diode to case connection so as to be substitutes for original HITACHI parts
3) The number 08 denotes 8 amp continuous current rating and 10 refers to maximum current rating. They are just different ratings of the same part.

I trust this is helpful for you guys frustrated with an antiquated supply chain, as I was. Please post if you find it different in your area. It may save someone a lot of grief.

Last edited:
This is great, thanks guys, I founds these at Element 14, both 16 and 20 versions are available and the price different is only 1.2US$.

ECX10N20 = ALF08N20V
ECX10P20 = ALF08P20V

Their picture is wrong, they are showing the 5 pins array but the spec is fine.

Last edited:
Alfia (Syklab),

Any lateral mosfet with transconductance 0.4S to 2S will work in this circuit; you need only have a voltage rating over 100V and a current rating over about 8A.

They are all pretty much useable here, Toshiba, Exicon, Semelab, and Renesas. I have not noticed differences in sound quality between them, to be honest - all sound pretty much the same.

Thanks guys for helping out, this is really useful information,

Cheers,

Hugh

During this development of this design over on the other thread I noticed that PSRR was not that great and proposed filters in both rails consisting of 20R + 470uF between the o/p & vas/ip stages.

I think this has now been modified a bit to better suit Hugh's version here but the principal I believe remains the same.

So I thought I should report that I just added 22,000uF across the 470uF and noticed good improvements in the bass, midrange and general effortlessness & fluidity of the sound.

It may be 22,000uF is over the top and as you have different value resistors in the different rails there might be a different optimal solution but I would recommend you check this out.

cheers

mike

Hi Mike,
Which 20R + 470uF you are looking at with the 22,000uF parallel with the 470uF that give the improvement ? I want to try something like 10000uF.

Thank you Do,

A very Merry Christmas to you and to your family. I'm about to drive 500 kms in 32C heat. As a Canadian, can you imagine a Christmas with these temperatures? This is normal in Australia, aren't we lucky?

I hope you, and all other FetZilla builders, enjoy your new amp. I think it is rather good, I really do..... I can say that since Swordfishy designed it, not me!

Cheers,

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.