Surface mount components for analogue audio... Yes or no???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mobyd said:
I like the approach QSC takes to SMD components in their PLX series amps - use where appropriate.
In general all low dissipation resistors and semis are SMD, and all things that get hot, and electrolytics, are through hole.
OTOH Crown seem to like having things like SMD emitter resistors in their big amps,
which leads to this sort of thing.....

M

Don't even get me started on Crown and SMD stuff....yuck. that whole CE series of amps...junk! and i hate saying that about crown but wow. I tell CE series customers, to throw that thing away and buy one of the new $299 QSC's!

SMD is really cool, I like it a lot. Also has the nice advantage that parts values are directly written upon the part, no color schemes to learn :D

I find the thin film Susumu resistors very nice and they are readily available from Digikey and Farnell.

Through hole parts, however, have the nice advantage that one can use them as bridges in 2 layer designs, as bridge across tracks and as bridge from top to bottom. That's hardly possible with SMD-parts.

Have fun, Hannes

A good source of info and footprint information for SMD components can be found at PCB Matrix:
http://www.pcbmatrix.com/downloads/

They have done a lot of work related to IPC-7351 and the document "The CAD library of the Future" is worth a read.
If you are moving to SMD or already use it, working to the IPC-7351 specification is recomended, a lot of the donkey work been done (downloadable calculators, documentation etc).
With the downloadable (FREE) viewers and calculators all the footprints for 99% of any SMD device you will require have been done for you, you just have to copy the geomatry to your own CAD library.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.