"Suppressed Mids" and tweeter / woofer phase?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a quick bump; going back to my original question; is it worth going to the trouble to rewire my tweeters with reversed polarity?

Again, Zaph's original crossover design is this;

ZBM4-crossover.gif

As you can see, Zaph's schematic does not show the tweeter polarity reversed, however if we're looking at a "135 degree phase shift" at the crossover point as wired, as suggested by another poster... then is the polarity reversal implied?

Thanks again for any suggestions,

Sam T

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I dont know how you obtain 4ohm and 5ohm on tweets att, but its not the best to use different paralleled components

try a combination of single standard values like 3.9/5.2 or 4.2/4.7
Its good to measure them
Maybe noninductive is worth a try(MILLS ?)

Are your series caps of good quality
Mids series inductor should be good quality too

edit...its all assuming that you have wired filter correctly

tinitus said:
I dont know how you obtain 4ohm and 5ohm on tweets att, but its not the best to use different paralleled components

try a combination of single standard values like 3.9/5.2 or 4.2/4.7
Its good to measure them
Maybe noninductive is worth a try(MILLS ?)

Not sure what you mean by this; are you suggesting I replace resistors R4, R5 from Zaph's diagram? Why?

Are your series caps of good quality
Mids series inductor should be good quality too

Bennic poly caps, and an iron core, low dcr inductor...

edit...its all assuming that you have wired filter correctly [/B]

Well, my wiring on the crossover is correct, been over that on another thread.

augerpro said:
The phase integration of the drivers will be good as long as both are hooked up in positive polarity, as the schematic shows.

Okay, thanks, I'll put that idea to rest I guess.

Still not 100% happy with vocal clarity, particularly during broadcast playback. For now I guess I'll chalk it up to not stand-mounting these boxes; I did try stand-mounting temporarily recently and things seemed to improve.

Hello Sam,
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I can't seem to PM or email you.
I wanted to ask you 2 things about your build - what kind of screws are you using to attach the baffle to the cabinet, and the drivers to the baffle?
And also what binding posts are you using?
Thanks. Your build is somewhat of a model for what I'm planning, so I really appreciate your documentation. Your speakers look beautiful - what veneer is that?

klankymen said:
Hello Sam,
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I can't seem to PM or email you.
I wanted to ask you 2 things about your build - what kind of screws are you using to attach the baffle to the cabinet, and the drivers to the baffle?
And also what binding posts are you using?
Thanks. Your build is somewhat of a model for what I'm planning, so I really appreciate your documentation. Your speakers look beautiful - what veneer is that?

Thanks for the feedback, Klanky, I appreciate it;

The baffle screws are #10-32 black "hex bolts", 1.5 inch, from partsexpress.com. These are coupled with #10 hurricane nuts on the backside, natch. Driver mounting screws are #8, 0.5 inch black screws; I drilled 5/64" pilot holes for the woofer screws, just to be sure they would go in smoothly.

Binding posts are "Dayton BPA-38G HD Binding Post Pair Gold" also from partsexpress.

Veneer is the "beech" vinyl laminate, again partsexpress.

I'll try and update my profile so you can email me through the board, give it another shot if you have more questions, want photos, etc., be very glad to share,

Sam T

Thanks for the info. E-Mail still doesn't seem to work, so I'll just ask here. I can only find bolts with "security hex", ie a hex hole with a peg in the middle, do you have a part number or link to the exact product you were using there? I was able to find everything else, thank you very much. I think I will order the parts tonight, if I can find some satisfactory screws.

klankymen said:
Thanks for the info. E-Mail still doesn't seem to work, so I'll just ask here. I can only find bolts with "security hex", ie a hex hole with a peg in the middle, do you have a part number or link to the exact product you were using there? I was able to find everything else, thank you very much. I think I will order the parts tonight, if I can find some satisfactory screws.

Yep, they're the security hex bolts. I ordered the security bit from pe as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.