• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Joined 2007
Paid Member
A basic I2C question, since we're on the topic. (Unrelated to Duffy's situation)

Let's say one wishes to control more than one B3 slave and to execute the exact same writes in each. Must each slave have a unique address? Would the master be confused by more than one returned ACK before the write? I'm a bit gun-shy experimenting... :)

Do you have disconnected IC with TPA firmware on Bufflao, right?

Check if DACs are still working by disconnecting from BBB and returning back IC.

Brian/Russ: What about 3.3V pins on of I2C connectors of dual-mono B3 build? Shall be only one of them connected to pin on Hermes-BBB, right?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes. There are only 2 addresses to select, so create multiple busses to control more than 2 boards.
Thanks for the information! I am hoping to control volume in tandem on three BIIIse from a single Hermes/BBB. Thus, I wonder if it might not be efficient to use the stock IC on each BIIIse and control them via their ADC pins using one chip potentiometer and I2C control - perhaps something like this. Any thoughts?

I also wonder, though, if Miero is developing a different solution for Botic 6? :)

Do you have disconnected IC with TPA firmware on Bufflao, right?

Check if DACs are still working by disconnecting from BBB and returning back IC.

Brian/Russ: What about 3.3V pins on of I2C connectors of dual-mono B3 build? Shall be only one of them connected to pin on Hermes-BBB, right?

I actually have Buffalo II dual-mono but have only connected ground as the Hermes I2C is already powered (by jumpering J2).

I never had any firmware on the DAC boards as I always used Volumite.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
BBB control of peripherals

BBB has ADC and I have already working prototype that controls single B3. I'll finish it and release after returning from my abroad trip. Eta 2-3 weeks.

Safe travels, Miero!

1) I want BBB to be the core of a simple-to-use and convenient audio appliance. I am beginning to work on BBB GPIO control of peripherals, such as an OttoII. In Botic 5, I see that the unclaimed and unassigned pins on P8 are numbers 7-19 and #26. Will that change in the new Botic version?

2) Russ or Brian, based on this, I take it that 3.3v 5mA GPIO pin output is sufficient to operate Otto II (with 5v Vcc). Yes?

3)
I just ordered some optocouplers and will (try to) play with it next week.

Any news on this switching method? Drawing 1.6 mA, 6N138s or 6N139s should easily function within the ~5mA limit of pin output current.

This topic could expand to include (non-Botic) software - should we start a separate thread?

Cheers,

Frank

Last edited:
Hi Miero,

Really appreciate your efforts on the driver. I have a question regarding botic5 version of the image/driver. Since you have build the botic5 driver on the 4.0 kernel and since there is no capemgr support on this version I wonder how I could enable the ttyS4 tx/rx pins on beaglebone. I have tried to load the am335x-boneblack-ttyS4.dtb but although it works (enabling the pins) the botic driver is not loaded.

Is there a way to enable it. Could you provide me with a dtb that has ttyS4 enabled or with the dtc's required by botic in order to compile them myself.

Thanks
Nikos

This article is a bit old, but includes .dtbo files that can be activated after boot. Worth a try?

The thing is that kernel version 4.0, bundled with the botic v5 driver, does not include the capemgr which mounts on the /sys/devices path and allows the loading of dtbo's after boot. Thats why I need the dtc that miero used for configuring the pins for use with his driver to amend enabling the ttyS4 pins.

Unless I am missing something I think thats the only way. Otherwise I would have to create my own dtc's which I would rather not do as I am not familiar at all with dtc,dtb,dtbo etc

Hmm, found this link:

BeagleBone Black - wiki.sharedcircuits.com

which mentions how to decompile dtb's

I will give it a try and report back in case someone else needs something similar.

Ok, so I managed to install the dtc utility following the instuction on the link above and managed to decompile the am335x-boneblack.dtb file used on the botic5 image. Enabling the uart5 (status = "disabled" -> status = "okay") seems to enable the /dev/ttyO4 but still the port does not seem to work in minicom. I have tested this setup with the am335x-boneblack-ttyS4.dtb and minicom and it works properly communicating with the DAC so I know that the connections made are ok.

Further diffing the am335x-boneblack.dts and am335x-boneblack-ttyS4.dts seems that there are a lot of differences so I tried adding 2 lines in the uart4 section that were missing (pinctrl-names and pinctrl-0) but that didn't work either. Noticed also that the interrupts variable in that section is different <0x2d> on the am335x-boneblack.dts and <0x2c> on am335x-boneblack-ttyS4.dts. So I guess the pin mappings are not matching or something else is missing as well.

Any help from a wiser than me on the subject would be appreciated.

Last edited: