• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Miero ,I am confused with all options available . I am looking for a squeezebox alternative.So not sure which route to take.Volumio was reasonable but without USB media support it is hard to use it that way. I tried the NAS setup but equally hard to configure. Can some one please help me out.
Goal to use BBB as I2S transport with Hermes -cronus 22MHZ clock only ( FOR NOW) and USB media support?
Please make your instructions as simple as possible.

kinku: if it is too confusing, I recommend you to wait until prepared image with squeezelite (squeezebox replacement) will be available.

But, meanwhile...

Update to v5 which has fixed USB storage support:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install linux-image-4.0.0-botic5
# if you are updating boticized volumio then also following 2 lines
cp -f /boot/vmlinuz-4.0.0-botic5 /boot/zImage
cp -f /boot/dtbs/4.0.0-botic5/am335x-boneblack.dtb /boot/dtbs/am335x-boneblack.dtb

I did read that but left wondering where would I start that process,for squeezelite.
Miero,let me tell you my situation (and many others) ur the Bill Gates of Botic and I am like someone using a pirated copy of windows here. Please lower your instruction level from machine language to a more humane interface .. ;-)
What I meant is those instructions should have some introduction like starting with an image in an SD card yada yada.
Meanwhile I am able to update to V5 and tried to see if it will find out the USB media on the hub ,but no luck.

Last edited:
The BBB runs Linux not Windows, so until there will be something like Volumio GUI prepared we need to fight with Linux if we want to use it.

And please believe me, I'm already trying to explain as simplest as I am able. And this takes me time to work on other things. So... if there is anyone able to help me, I'd be glad.

But please remember, that this thread is not for learning all of you working with Linux... this is already far beyond the "support for botic linux driver". There are thousands of other sites where you can learn these basics.

Yes, it is hard, but when it "hurts" then your brain is learning something new... :)

Ok Miero ,I will try again. Like to learn new stuff.
What would be the reason I still cant see the fils on USB stick?
music files are in a sub folder would that be the reason?
Also I am using Winscp and file editor to make changes in configuration files.

I am using a 22Mhz Rhea and want to set the clock option 1. But every time I reboot the option changes back to 3(default)

also ... insert USB disk into BBB and execute command that prints kernel log:
Code:
dmesg

at the end it should print be something like this:
Code:
[ 3938.117220] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 4100096 512-byte logical blocks: (2.09 GB/1.95 GiB)
[ 3938.117391] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[ 3938.117404] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
[ 3938.117545] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
[ 3938.129149] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 3938.145518]  sda: sda1
[ 3938.147384] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

This means that (USB) device sda with 1 partition sda1 has been connected and it is accessible on the /dev/sda1.

If it prints multiple partitions then you need to choose correct one. If it prints none, then you need to use /dev/sda only.

So for accessing this drive you can do following (assuming you are using Volumio)...

Code:
#create new directory for your data
mkdir /var/lib/mpd/music/MYUSB
# "mount" your USB drive into that directory
mount /dev/sda1 /var/lib/mpd/music/MYUSB
# print content of that directory
ls /var/lib/mpd/music/MYUSB

if "mount" command does not print error/warning then the "ls" command shall list content of the USB drive.

Then you can refresh DB of MPD.

I hope this will help :)

Last edited:
Another thing ... if you have NTFS filesystem on the flash drive .. then you need to install also following package:
Code:
apt-get install ntfs3g

You can also print all your connected devices using following command:
Code:
blkid

In my case with connected USB Flash drive it prints:
Code:
/dev/mmcblk0p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="BEAGLEBONE" UUID="426D-6FA9" TYPE="vfat" 
/dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="rootfs" UUID="a5422c04-5bb6-451b-966b-ecf18ba87246" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sda1: LABEL="MRdata" UUID="0F24-1702" TYPE="vfat"

kinku, please write all commands you want to execute on the boot into /etc/rc.local file...

for example this line:
echo 9 > /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/ext_masterclk

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.
/var/www/command/player_wdog.sh startup & > /dev/null 2>&1
echo 9 > /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/ext_masterclk
exit 0

did not change the config.What am I doing wrong?