• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Ichiban: check this tutorial for serial console: 1. Connecting to your Raspberry Pi via the USB to TTL Serial Cable
Then try to boot BBB without SD card and paste the last lines from the serial console here.

Also I've remembered that from time to time I had network issues with flashed BBB connected to the gigabit ethernet port with Botic v4 and earlier. This shall be solved in v5 kernel.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ichiban: check this tutorial for serial console: 1. Connecting to your Raspberry Pi via the USB to TTL Serial Cable
Then try to boot BBB without SD card and paste the last lines from the serial console here.

Also I've remembered that from time to time I had network issues with flashed BBB connected to the gigabit ethernet port with Botic v4 and earlier. This shall be solved in v5 kernel.

Many thanks, again ;), will check out the tutorial.
Perhaps I'll connect the BBB eth/port to a laptop which has a slower port.

It might work if you set your laptop to share wireless interface and connect BBB to the laptop Ethernet. But I'd not spent much time with it, because there are multiple pitfals with that.

The fastest way is IMHO install official BBB Debian to eMMC and then Boticize it with direct jump to v5 kernel.

Hi,
I am trying to run wifi with BBB and Botic.
Browsing the internet I've found UWN200 and finally bought it.
Device is recommended for BBB and Debian. There is even an instruction how to set it up.
I've just found out that there is probably no driver embedded in the new kernel. Do the Botic has separate driver module MT7601 or should I build it? I appreciate any hints.

HW build nearing completion...

My build is finally nearing completion...still some tidying up to do.
Next the software side of things...:)

Attachments

• botic-build-complete1.jpg
    botic-build-complete1.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 236
  • botic-build-complete2.jpg
    botic-build-complete2.jpg
    559.1 KB · Views: 231
After 2 days of troubleshooting, just got fed up with the blasted Beagle Bone Black.
Could not get it to flash or boot from SD card with any image of anything. Regardless of what button I pressed, what process I followed, in what order, with what brand of SD card or what hat I was wearing and at what stage of the lunar cycle, DESPITE help from the fine folks here and elsewhere on the web.
Sent the bloody Elemenet 14 thing back to Farnell (their support forum is peppered with the same complaint) and bought a new Circuit Co version from RS components. These don't seem to report the same problem, touch wood. Its not uncommon though which makes you realise how far removed this stuff is from the consumer arena.

So: Back to base camp and awaiting supplies for second attempt at the summit of this annoying wee little molehill.

cheers
Ced

bern: I have same wifi dongle and it has never worked reliably with vendor buggy driver on old kernels.

But there is new community driver for recent kernel: https://github.com/kuba-moo/mt7601u

You should try this one first...

Thanks miero.
I am trying to build new driver...
I have copied 'MT7601u.bin' from orginal driver to: /lib/firmware/mt7601u.bin
and installed 'linux-headers-4.0.0-botic5'
Unfortunately I got stuck:
Code:
root@botic:/opt/mt7601u# ls
Makefile   core.c     dma.c  eeprom.c  init.c      initvals_phy.h  mac.h   mcu.c  mt7601u.h  regs.h   trace.h  usb.c  util.c
README.md  debugfs.c  dma.h  eeprom.h  initvals.h  mac.c           main.c  mcu.h  phy.c      trace.c  tx.c     usb.h  util.h
root@botic:/opt/mt7601u# make
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=$PWD
make: *** /lib/modules/4.0.0-botic5/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [default] Error 2
root@botic:/opt/mt7601u#

root@botic:/opt/mt7601u# mkdir /lib/modules/4.0.0-botic5/build
make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/4.0.0-botic5/build'
make[1]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/4.0.0-botic5/build'
root@botic:/opt/mt7601u#

Hmmm,
I did consider that its bricked, but I can log onto it fine via Putty- it seems completely ok with its eMMC flashed Debian distro. I just cannot boot or flash, pins mate fine, can't see any soldering problems on the board. Even tried a 2013 Angstrom distro with no results as that was recommended. Just SD card booting sends it off to the funny farm. But I do all the power downs, take out the SD card and it boots fine from eMMC again- can go in via browser, putty whatever.
The more you google the more you see this is a far from rare problem with BBBs. Like the guy said, much to be said for the Pi's robustness. I can kick that thing around my appartment like like a football, pour in some beer and feed it a burger, apply power and boom, Volumio's playing in 10 seconds again. Tough wee beasty, no mistakin'.

Either way from my POV what should be 10 mins by Miero's instructions has been a wasted 2 days fighting a computer that says 'No'. To the bin my unloved friend, I'll find a machine that does want to play ball with me. And music.

Hubris check: In a couple of days, I'm gonna find out its PSS fault, aren't I- Problem is between the Seat and the Screen. Ah well DIY, you gotta love it.

cheers
Ced

Hi Miero,
ok if this next one also doesn't work, I'll follow your advice and try the cables and getting some error reporting.
Looks like I'm going to get dragged kicking and screaming into programming and Linux, hey? Part of your cunning plan.
OK for now
cheers
Ced

Hmmm,
But I do all the power downs, take out the SD card and it boots fine from eMMC again- can go in via browser, putty whatever.
Sounds like your BBB is not bricked. But something incomplete, though I can not figure out what it is, may still reside in your system made for SD card. So here is my suggestion. Since you can boot from eMMC, whatever the distro is, it means that you can run a workable linux system with valid network connection.

Assuming that this is the case, attach a pair of microSD cards in the USB adaptors, respectively, to a USB Hub connected to BBB. Format them by fdisk with a single-partitioned file system, say ext3. Mount one of them and download Botic3 or Botic4 image by wget to it and gunzip the file. Then dd the .img to the other microSD which is expected to be identified as /dev/sdx (x could be a or b). Once done, a bootable SD card is to be ready. If successful, apt-get update and apt-get upgrade are mandatory before going forward to flashing eMMC.

My apology in advance if this does not work.

bern: in such case just create needed symlink...

Code:
ln -sf /usr/src/linux-headers-4.0.0-botic5 /lib/modules/4.0.0-botic5/build
Miero this symlink did not work for me... So I tried:
Code:
ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-4.0.0-botic5/* /lib/modules/4.0.0-botic5/build
and module started to build however after few second I received:
Code:
make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/4.0.0-botic5/build'
  CC [M]  /opt/mt7601u/usb.o
./scripts/recordmcount: 1: ./scripts/recordmcount: p6: not found
./scripts/recordmcount: 1: ./scripts/recordmcount: cannot create K/opt/mt7601u/usb.o@Ŕ:@@@@@@Ŕ@@@@l6l6: Directory nonexistent
./scripts/recordmcount: 1: ./scripts/recordmcount: PuTTYPuTTELF: not found
./scripts/recordmcount: 1: ./scripts/recordmcount: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
make[2]: *** [/opt/mt7601u/usb.o] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/opt/mt7601u] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/4.0.0-botic5/build'