Supply capacitance reduces hf performance? Is that true?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I just discovered this thread while trying to sort out opinions, facts, crystal ball perspectives about PSU filter capacitor sizing. Some of what has been discussed I can follow, much is a bit beyond my ability to understand.

I have done alot of reading on related topics as I believe the PSU is a key part of the results of the final sound quality of an amplifier. All reading I have done over the months supports that view.

I have some Nippon Chemi-Con 10,000uF 63V 105C PC mount caps. It was my intent to use a pair of these on each rail for mid-range amps in active system and for general use of passive three way speakers. Comments/opinions in context of using the PSU design url referenced a bit later in this posting?

I have found a few different places that discuss the amount of capacitance to use in terms of current demands the amplifier is expected to handle. Correct me if I am incorrect, but this thread has not discussed target PSU rail capacitance in terms of current handling requirements of the amplifier design. That is ntoy a negative comment, just an observation. Any specifiec reason this may be case?

One reference example of sizing and how to determine PSU capacitance is:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ssps3_e.html

I like to know if the PSU design on the link above is using a snubbing aspect that has been discussed intently in this thread?

I like to know what opinions or experiences people would have on the tables of suggested capacitance based on amp class and power handling expectations?

Thanks in advance for you feedback.

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada
10 December 2005 04:44/04:46

posted this on another thread about a week ago:

the "sag" you will experience is a function of the time that the capacitor isn't being charged (i.e. when the diode isn't conducting).

From C * E = I * t

where t is about 7.5 10e-3 seconds (in the U.S.) so if you want 1 V ripple, with a 5 amp load:

C = (5 * 0.0075)/ 1.000 = 37,500 uF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.