Superconducting Voice coils (Split from Fast Bass)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
14 guage wire, resitstance, meh. This is why I say all of us clowns ought to stop clowning around with copper and look toward superconductor. Sure you got to keep it cold, but that aint no thang. I dont think it would work so well in voicecoils, but interconnects should be no problem.

I'd like to see how these magnovox speakers work, if they really perform so well. 1930 is old bones!

Theres no way superconductor could cost more than silver wire!

Superconductors are beginning to be used in a variety of applications such as, motors for submarines and ships, EMP bombs, Antennas, Computer processors, Power transmission lines, Fault limiters, Maglev, and a variety of other magnetic applications. What someone really ought to do is make a feild coil speaker using a superconductive magnet and have such mad flux that everything iron in the room flys to the subwoofer. I see no reason why superconductors would not have a future in the audio industry, and I predict their use will eventually be widespread. Now if someone thinks im crazy to think that I'd like to hear why

Bill Fitzpatrick said:

You really don't have a clue, do you?

I think what BassAwdyO refered to is called high-temperature (?) superconductor. Every conductor has its own temperature point to become superconductor. Copper, for instance, may be around -200 degrees C. That is not realistic for practical use. The research on superconductor is to find materials that can become superconductor at temperature way higher than -200 degrees C. I don't follow them so I am not sure the state of the art (could be around -100 c now). The hope is that we can still benefit the reduction in resistance even at room temperature (we just neeed it to be low, it does not have to be zero). The materials are all composites. But the research is definitely there (for the days beyond fossil fuels).

Brian Ding
Rythmik Audio

The highest temperature superconductor is currently Hg0.8Tl0.2Ba2Ca2Cu3O8.33 at 138K. Most physicists believe that there will never be a superconductor above around 200K.

I was wondering myself how the damping factor would be calculated with a voice coil resistance of 0. The DC resistance might be zero, but the impedance still won't be.

The impedance will still be zero since there's no magnetic field generated I think. But then, they just invented a superconductor which is also a natural magnet, breaking all laws, so we never know.

The voicecoil will be 0 ohms so we will have the damping factor of the amplifier.

I really doubt superconductors can be used in voice coils. The coil needs to be in the magnetic gap, and superconductors exibit the meisner effect(if thats how you spell it). The meisner effect is an effect that occurs in superconductors that makes them naturally repel any magnetic feild. There are type 1 and type 2 superconductors. Type 1 I believe is pure, but type 2 is not. In the inpure superconductor there are tunnels of impurity that crate what is called flux pinning. If you'd like to read up on it go to www.superconductors.org

so I'm wondering, has anyone used HTS wire in an audio application? I think a feild coil subwoofer with an HTS feild coil would be killer. I heard the world's strongest dipole magnet was produced with a HTS electromagnet and it had insanely high flux. I think they got up to 25tesla. Talk about mad flux! The highest flux I've ever heard of for a speaker motor was .8T on the parthenon, but perhaps there is something higher. I'm sure 2 or 3 tesla wouldnt be incredibly hard with a HTS electromagnet. I'm not saying this could ever happen, but what would the effect of flux over 100T in the gap? I'd imagine the speaker would have extremely high sensitivity?

Circlo-prediction.

If superconducting voice-coils are ever achieved in practice (and I hope it does happen) there are three things that will/could happen:-

1/ You could now wind the voicecoil with super-thin wire that would fit inside a much smaller magnet polepiece gap, leading to higher sensitivity.

2/ You could fit a jillion turns of super-thin wire to make a voicecoil with a high enough impedance to be easily driven to full power from "normal size" vacuum tubes (not paralleled 6C33's :eek: )

3/ The "audiofool" brigade will immediately proclaim superconducting loudspeakers to be wonderful and become the elite by starting using them for a few years until they become so common that they are used in every kid's boombox etc, upon which the audiofools will re-discover the speakers we use right now but nobody uses anymore, and proclaim themselves to be the elite once again. (Just like vinyl, electrodynamics, tubes* etc etc :rolleyes: )

*I like tubes actually.

BassAwdyO said:
I dont know that would work evil, I dont see how the cone would move in and out and not just one way.
You're right, it wouldn't work. Perhaps one coil on each side of the superconductor "magnet"... hmmmm... that would lead to some sort of crossover distortion though.

Nonetheless, even if I can't think of a way to make it work, I have no doubt that it is possible, and if superconductors ever come into range of normal use (either by discovery of room-temperature superconductors, or improvements in cryogenics) that someone will think of a practical way to do it.

BassAwdyO said:
The highest flux I've ever heard of for a speaker motor was .8T on the parthenon, but perhaps there is something higher.
The figure 0.8T alone is not the impressive part of the parthenon. You can reach 2T+ with a good motor/magnet design without much difficulty (see bottom of page here). 0.8T when considering the large parthenon air gap is impressive. So talking numbers without the application and goal mean very little.

BassAwdyO said:
I'm not saying this could ever happen, but what would the effect of flux over 100T in the gap? I'd imagine the speaker would have extremely high sensitivity?
Yes the sensitivity would be higher. But your assumption is that more flux would be better. This isn't neccessarily true and you CAN have too much flux already - without this superconductor nonsense (let me add: IMO).

Heed what Bill is not so subtly trying to say ;)

Circlotron, super thin wire and a vast number of turns leads to inductance of equally great proportion. Not so sure this is what you would want ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.