Super Tube Rectifier (triodes as diodes etc.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's news to me. Must be something new made by VSAC or in Japan I guess. Nothing made by Marantz back in the day used 300B as rectifiers, damper tubes, selenium, and silicon were used.. Tube gear in those days was engineered, there were no boutique makers here at the time.

The 211 was widely used as a rectifier because there were apparently no suitable high voltage high vacuum rectifiers until the early 1930s. You see this in early theater amps.

The grid and plate would be tied together.

See post 11 folks...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I saw that post, and that certainly is not something Marantz made in the 1950s or 1960s. Note that their schematics were also clearly identified, this looks like the schematic for the much much later Japanese Marantz T-1 design, which IMHO is Marantz in name only.. Ken Ishiwata designed this amp as memory serves.

I worked on a lot of the original Marantz tube gear decades ago, all the way to the Marantz 9 monoblock.

I am sure the Marantz T-1 is a nice amp, but it has absolutely nothing to do with anything Saul Marantz did, and is hardly vintage. The original company was based in New York, was acquired by Superscope in 1964 and in about 1992 sold to Philips. It has been through several owners since Philips fully divested itself of the brand in 2008. Now owned by Sound United and is based in Japan.

Sort of a hot button topic for me, Marantz's history after 1964 is unfortunate IMO. (Much better than Fisher however..)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.