Super Regulator, collecting the facts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: SMT SuperRegulator

jackinnj said:
I finished up some layouts for an SMT version of the SuperRegulator -- this is what a 3D version looks like -- the pre-regulators are SOT-223 and Nat Semi has some specific recommendations for copper plane heatsinking:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Jack, has your layout left your computer yet? Prototype is made?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Anyone know J. Breakall?

Fred Dieckmann said:
Measuring Power Supply Output Impedance Part I
J. Breakall TAA 1/1983

Measuring Power Supply Output Impedance Part II
J. Breakall TAA 2/1983

The quote comes from post #137 way back on page 14 of the thread.

Sorry for going off topic, and this may be pure coincidence, but is the author/contributor of those articles mentioned above James Breakall? If so, he was a professor of mine in college who I knew fairly well! I'll have to email him to ask if that is in fact him that wrote those articles.

Hi,
peranders said:
I see no reason why you couldn't build a shunt regulator with the opamp fed from the regulated side.

Why do you ask? Anything special you want to use it for?
1) curiosity, see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=135711#post135711
2) For the output stage in my phono (version of la boheme). I have a super reg (not ALW, but Jung-Didden 2002) for the output stage. It is a huge improvement compared with batteries. 'Holographic' sound and much more precision in stage, you really can tell where the instruments are placed. There is an issue, however: the bass is weak and fluffy, compared to an discrete output stage in borbely-style with simple regs.

Why don't you simulate it and see if you can make it work.
Because the soldering iron heats up faster than the computer boots :smash:
No, because I'm not familiar with those programs. I tried, but it just ates time. I might draw an conceptual sketch tonight, and get some opinions here.

have a nice day,
Rüdiger

Onvinyl said:
No, because I'm not familiar with those programs. I tried, but it just ates time.
I really recommend that you test it. Many here have experience of LTSpice.

I have simulated three project with success, QRV-05 diamond buffer, QRV-06 current feedback amp and the last SST-01 softstart and for this LTSpice was _very_ helpful because the design is very unlinear and unpredictable. The simulation was nearly 100% exact!

You know you can also get distortion from the program!

You draw the schematic and when you are ready, just hook up a signal generator at the input then put an oscilloscope probe where you want the see the signal. Try as much as possible to get the simulation models for the parts you are going to use.

Hi,
peranders said:

I have a hunch though that the PSRR will be _much_ less.

Why? Are you referring to the bootstrapped op-amp arrangement?

However, the first real useful web-source concerning shunt regs (because it names design goals and tells us how to calculate relevant values), that I found just today, seems to imply that a top-notch shunt can't be achieved by simply swapping the super-regs pass-transistors from npn to pnp and await wonders.
older shunt reg. article by walt jung
Maybe the error-amp could stay, but we need a very high Hfe transistor arrangement.
Rüdiger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.