• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Super PP cap from Taiwan!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mini review

Received Super PP 0.47/630v today. Thanks Coffin!

This is of course a preliminary opinion only as the caps are not broken at all and the quick mounting arrangement puts them at a disadvantage as they hang by their leads.

I listened to them in an atypical application with near zero DC applied. It allows for a comparison to a straight :) wire. The resident caps are my favourite Jupiters and for comparison purposes i tried MultiCap RTX, Hovland Musicaps and Wima MKP10.

The Super PPs presented themselves remarkably well. Clearly a big step above the Wima. Very good level of high-frequency transparency, a bit better than the Jupiters and on par with the MultiCaps and Hovlands. Pleasant and distinctive mids, with maybe a touch of rawness; more or less equal to the Hovlands, but obviously not as good as the Jupiters. Bass and general poise are clearly inferior to all other caps but the Wimas. There is a slight tendency for screechiness and confusion in loud passages.

They very possibly will improve with break-in and a mounting arrangement which benefits damping. Physically they are much smaller than either Jupiters or Multicaps and obviously not so well internally damped.

I am in no rush to permanently replace the Jupiters with the Super PPs but the difference is not huge. Depending on the price (and effect of break-in) they may represent a really good value.

More to come once i finish building a 'cablecooker' as i really have no more patience for natural break-in.

Im sorry to tell that I havnt found the "super" in the super PP caps. I have compared them to Wima MKP and been un-able to tell wich is wich. The only case i found a difference of sound in, was compared to my russian teflon film caps, neeless to say there is no way a PP film cap can compare to a teflon film foil cap in matters of loss(clarity), wich is as far as im concerned the biggest concern in a film cap.

Magura:)

A quote from another thread about the difference(or the lack of) between snake oil and experience. I repost it here cause it was partially driven by the caps in question.

==
Ive been making a few experiments during tests lately.

The biggest factor to me was the power of suggestion. Once i didnt know what was what and actually had to tell the difference, the result of most tests turned out random.

It was particulary bad during cable and capacitor tests (actually so bad that i have not dared making any conclusion to the taiwanese "super" caps i had to test) that i had to admit to myself that i could hear no difference, what so ever. Cables were the main reason for all the testing to begin with, during a discussion in another thread about the difference between silver and copper cables, i stated that i can hear difference between silver and copper cables....many objected to that. I made a test of a set of silver and a set of copper interconnects of exactly matching resistance and construction. I had a friend swapping the cables on the inputs of the amp, i had the remote to switch between two identical cd players connected with each a set of cables. In this situation i knew that one had to be silver, wich made it a 50-50, had it been done with a bigger number of cables, in order to make it possible to connect both cd players with the same type of cable, the results would have been even more obvious.....
==

Magura:)

I have tested the NOVA series caps. This are my findings
The cap is placed in HT which i think should be ideal for its high voltage capability
The cap was used between a 12ax7 srpp cap coupled a 300b se amp

For one the burn time is not so noticable. The sound does not change dramatically over first time it is in to full burn in unlike PIO which takes a long time to burn in. Burn in sometimes is cruical for me, can't stand long burn in required for parts

The size is slightly bigger than my current film and foil i used. They are source from my local hifi shop. The film and foil are polyprops to.

In terms of sonic i find them smoother, more body and romantic compared to film and foil. I find myself agreeing with the review posted my coffin in his website. It is noted that it is highly superior to SOLENS.
Review from coffin's page
The sound is thick and easy-listening, Rich, Excellent dynamic, .Best musically!

In terms of price i find them price slightly more pricer than solen here or the polyprop film and foils i used. but the cost is worthwhile for me

After this i will go on and test the SUper pp caps and standard quality. Point to note the super pp are smaller than the standard stuff? is this correct coffin? Something to try in the future is your standard cap 47uf 400v used in a power supply cap.

Coffin
You will hear from me again regarding your caps.

Super PP

Dear Coffin,

I'm not done yet, but wanted to let you know that I really like the Supper PP Cap.

Like NickC said:The sound is thick and easy-listening, Rich, Excellent dynamic, .Best musically!

I need to say this though; It sounds really good for the price, as long as you don't compair it to the MIT's.

MIT is much, much more transparant and have better Bass and has a holographic soundstage. But for the price, if I'm not mistaken $3.00 P/Piece it's great! Correct me if I'm wrong, regarding the price.

Coffin, you'll hear later more about my findings. This is after 24 hours of burning in. I'll report to you after a few weeks.

My partner needs me these days (weeks) due to her whiplash.

Thanks again for your help regarding the Super PP.

Best regerds,

Audiofanatic ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.