Sundown SAZ-1500 excessive current draw

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Originally the amp had failed supply and output fets. Supply is operational, output fets replaced, gate resistors verified. On power up amp with draw excessive current and it climbs with B+ voltage increase.

I can get the amp to stay out of protect by lifting D13 and using a current limit resistor. The outputs are IRF640N/IRF9640 pairs, essentially the AQ2200 schematic, same driver board with 4 transistors to drive the fets. The gate signal is roughly 40Khz on either rail. I only see a 5V square wave though, that seems to be my issue.

Thoughts, :confused:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

IRF640N gate signal, gnd is two divisions above center.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Note: 1)These amps do not like bringing the supply voltage up slowly, gets caught in some unknown region and causes excessive current.
2) The nomenclature on the board is wrong for the rca inputs, what says "out" is in.
3) Output section resembles AQ2200 and a host of Hifonics etc boards that use DWM1216 card.

I lifted pin 1 of U6, fault condition occurred. Replaced pin 1 and removed R19, fault condition gone, does that point to Q5?

Attachments

• SD fault.PNG
    SD fault.PNG
    13.7 KB · Views: 138
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.