Summer Mikasa

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greets!

Yeah, it's a whopper, though the sim I just did has quite a bit more gain, maybe too much depending on the room, but then it would have to be pretty large just to hold two of these. Still, I've yet to build a too large cab IMO since even after trimming out the severely under-damped ones in-room they always sounded so 'effortless', ~like live music.

GM

Attachments

• phy-hp h21lb15 t.c. bib.jpg
    phy-hp h21lb15 t.c. bib.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 431
Thanx again for lyour time and effort Scott and GM. Geez, those suckers are BIG, perhaps too big for the type of room they are likely to be living in sometime in the future. But, I could try one of the BIBs in the interim :bigeyes:

Oh man - I asked a question, got great answers... and now the rational side is screaming for moderation. So, let the rationalisation begin ;) Let's see, these drivers are flat and efficient by wide-band standards; they are bl**dy costly, tho may offer decent value; should sound pretty effortless in those cabs; I could run 'em OB until I NEED to put 'em against the wall... I have some scary decisions to make. Will I have the guts to pull the trigger?

Cheers guys
Raymond

Greets!

You're welcome!

Just to fill this out, here's a T/S max flat MLTL that's a bit smaller , 'only' ~11.268 ft^3, though of course there's not as much acoustic gain:

L = 63"
CSA = 309.055"^2 (suggest 22.375" x 13.812")
zdriver = 25.375"
zport = 50.265"^2 (8" dia) x 0.75" at the bottom, so plenty of tuning flexibility

GM

Attachments

• phy-hp h21lb15 max flat mltl.jpg
    phy-hp h21lb15 max flat mltl.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 408
......and last, but not least a ~tiny max flat impedance vent variant, ergo no bass to speak of unless corner loaded for affluent apt., etc., dwellers:

L = 56.812"
CSA = 60.867"^2 (suggest 9.94" x 6.125")
zdriver = 19.187"
zport = 2" dia x 1.5" near the bottom

GM

Attachments

• phy-hp h21lb15 max flat impedance vent mltl.jpg
    phy-hp h21lb15 max flat impedance vent mltl.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 395
I must have done something strange to my sim... That monster does have some impressive grunt after all (not theat the smaller one should be exactly lacking either ;) ) I like the MLTL and imp. vent versions (IIRC that's what became known as aperiodic, though aperiodic actually means something rather different, right?) too -should suit a few smaller rooms.

Maybe it's just me getting more accepting (or older, & less willing to compromise), but when I measured out a 375in^2 footprint, it didn't actually look that large to my eyes. :devilr: Those PHY drivers do look spectacular, with all that brass. Artistry.

Hi guys

Thanx GM for those two new designs - these may be a bit more manageable and give me some options to play with if I decide to go with a pair of those drivers. I will have to read up a little... I am an apt dweller, at present, tho affluent I am not. Just a struggling student with a supportive and understanding girl friend :) and a system I can sell to fund future projects.

Hey Scott, those drivers DO look nice. From what I have read, the build quality seems consistent, tight matching between pairs, good service. Oh, and they supposedly sound pretty decent - the 8"ers being consistently liked, the 12"ers have had more variable reports - perhaps they are more difficult to design cabinets for or are less musical 'all-rounders'. I need all-rounders, as I listen to almost anything.

Again, big thanx to you guys.
Raymond

Scottmoose said:
I must have done something strange to my sim... That monster does have some impressive grunt after all (not theat the smaller one should be exactly lacking either ;) ) I like the MLTL and imp. vent versions (IIRC that's what became known as aperiodic, though aperiodic actually means something rather different, right?) too -should suit a few smaller rooms.

Maybe it's just me getting more accepting (or older, & less willing to compromise), but when I measured out a 375in^2 footprint, it didn't actually look that large to my eyes. :devilr: Those PHY drivers do look spectacular, with all that brass. Artistry.

Scott, having actually held one in my hands I can confirm they certainly are a hefty piece of work. Although the finish on the castings of frames and separate mounting ring is not polished, it lends them a nostalgic appeal of its own. Oh yeah, in the right enclosure or open baffle, they can sound as gorgeous as they look.

GM said:
Don't know what they charge, but based on the inflation adjusted distributor price of the best hand crafted wide BW drivers of the 'golden age', they're only overpriced if > ~$1453/ea. plus dealer mark-up, shipping fees.

Just for fun I browsed the new Canadian distributor's ( Solen) website for pricing on the PHY drivers, and they appear lower than I recall the local dealer having been goosed for his stock several years ago now.

FWIW, the current international retail price ( i.e. in US $ ) are as follows:

TW37 $386 ea (piezo tweeter in stunningly gorgeous turned brass housing)
H21LB15 $946 ea (8" full range)
H21LB15 SAG $1137ea (8" full range / silver VC)
H30LB15 $1381ea (12" full range)
H30LB15 SAG $1577ea (12" full range / silver VC)
KM30 $1540ea (12" coax - piezo)
KM30SAG $1772ea (12" coax - silver VC)

too rich for my blood

I know what you mean -I can't afford them either. That said, given the build and the apparant quality of the units, I'd say the asking price is reasonable enough when you look at some other things -have you seen the prices of the latest Nordost flagship cable, Odin? ~ £8,500 for a 1m interconnect, & £17,000 for a 3m stero pair of speaker cables.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
chrisb said:
they appear lower than I recall the local dealer having been goosed for his stock several years ago now.

The figure i heard being quited at the time was 3.5k USD/$5k CAD, the difference today that a single USD buys you ~ $1 dollar 8 cents and when they got them that same dollar bought you $1 dollar 45 cents. Still the current US pricing does represent a price decrease as the USD has gone down against all currencies ncluding the French franc.

dave

Too rich for my blood now too, but it shows how expensive quality drivers was way back when compared to today. For instance, I have a '39 Silvertone (Sears & Roebuck, by RCA in this case) AM/SW radio with 78 rpm TT floor console that sold for $399 + tax/delivery, for many families a budget busting ~$5670+ today! Now you know why I'm not sympathetic to whiners complaining about today's 'high' prices of inexpensive audio components that perform as good or better than the best available back not that long ago and better than I ever daydreamed about when I was young.

Unfortunately my table saw is broken. I have been searching for a new one for the past month or so and just ordered the Bosch 4000-09. The townhouse I'm living in next year doesn't have much of a shed, so I decided on a contractor saw. Here is a picture of the saw, sad to say, but because of this purchase I am not be building much this summer.

Thanks,

Josh

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.