Sulzer regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I took a look at the TAA articles, and decided that it was time to build something with transistors in the TO-5 outline. This Sulzer regulator has the LM317/337 pre-regulators and uses the D44H11/D45H11 external pass transistors instead of the slower TO-3 kit. Sulzer had tantalums all over the place, so I raided my store from a Jameco kit of a dozen years ago, plus some 47u/35V devices purchased on the web:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Tantulums are much smaller compared to the time at which this design was first conceived.

I was thinking about building the Sulzer regulator, using a slightly different implementation. The purpose of this is not to improve its performance, but suits my needs a bit better, in case it can be done.

(1) I plan to discard the input filter of 47R-47u and replace it with a capacitance multiplier, because I need less voltage drop at 200mA. I believe it would not harm anything.
(2) I would like to use a TO-220 pass transistor, in that case 2N3053 does not suit me. The reason for this being that drilling just one hole is preferable for me - again I state that I don't want to discard the existing transistor to improve performance or what. In that case, I thought D44H11 (used in Jung regulator) should be a good choice - do you agree, or find anything else more useful?

Maximum current should be 200mA DC load. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.