Suitable midrange cone, for bandpass mid in Unity horn.

Is this maybe a good idea? very nice aproach and the truth about our modern society.

regards kees

Attachments

• inverted_horn_of_plenty.jpg
    inverted_horn_of_plenty.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 549
Is there any way to approximate the length from the compression driver phase plug to its exit?
Most drivers look like "C" or "D" inside, most modern 1" exit like "D" are around 30mm from diaphragm to phase plug exit.
Annular ring diaphragms (like BMS uses) are different.

With a bright light you can often see the diaphragm position through the plug.

Attachments

• HF driver cutaway.png
    HF driver cutaway.png
    220 KB · Views: 529
  • BMS 4550.png
    BMS 4550.png
    579.3 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Is there any way to approximate the length from the compression driver phase plug to its exit?

JLH, you have done a dozen (or more) models. I don't suppose you have every driver's specs at hand?

/Thomas

The path length of the BMS 4550 is 6.7cm.
The path length of the BMS 4552 is 5.1cm.
The path length of the Selenium D220ti-omf-8 is 3.65cm
The path length of the RCF N350 is 3.95cm
The path length of the RCF ND350 is 2.25cm

I expect the B&C Speakers DE120 to have a path length around 2.2cm to 2.5cm. I'll measure it when they arrive. All you have to do is remove the diaphragm and slip a piece of paper through the phase plug slits. Measure the distance the paper goes from the top of the phase plug to the exit. Add about a 1mm for the space between the phase plug and diaphragm. This will give you a good enough number to model with. This number will give you the worst case in the model because the acoustical center of the driver actually occurs slightly forward of the diaphragm. To measure the actual acoustical path length you need to do an impulse test and calculate it based on the speed of sound.

The path length of the BMS 4550 is 6.7cm.
The path length of the BMS 4552 is 5.1cm.
The path length of the Selenium D220ti-omf-8 is 3.65cm
The path length of the RCF N350 is 3.95cm
The path length of the RCF ND350 is 2.25cm

I expect the B&C Speakers DE120 to have a path length around 2.2cm to 2.5cm. I'll measure it when they arrive. All you have to do is remove the diaphragm and slip a piece of paper through the phase plug slits. Measure the distance the paper goes from the top of the phase plug to the exit. Add about a 1mm for the space between the phase plug and diaphragm. This will give you a good enough number to model with. This number will give you the worst case in the model because the acoustical center of the driver actually occurs slightly forward of the diaphragm. To measure the actual acoustical path length you need to do an impulse test and calculate it based on the speed of sound.

Thank you, John - for the very thorough explanation!

/Thomas

Flare rate

Guys!

After a lot of thought, and since I'm down the active Synergy route, I've decided to model a 2-way.

I also forgot to say that I'm lazy, so I'm currently working on a SH-95 "clone" (90 x 40) employing the Faital HF-146 and/or Faital PR200/B&C NDL51.

What I don't undestand is: the flare rate that the CD sees, going from 9.93cm^2 (throat) to 18.86 takes 0,99cm, which translates to 1774Hz!

How can this successively be crossed <1000Hz:confused:

/Thomas

Thomas,

Don't think of yourself as "lazy", think in terms of "standing on the shoulders of giants" :^).

Nominal flare rate does not determine an "instant cut off" point.
Look at the response of this small conical 90 x 40 horn, it could easily be crossed around 1000 Hz for domestic use.

Getting a three way Synergy right using passive crossovers is a real challenge,
but using DSP (and some measuring tools and skills), getting a smooth phase and frequency response transition between components in a two way Synergy is not difficult.

Art

Attachments

• 10H.png
    10H.png
    800.7 KB · Views: 585
  • Conical HF .png
    Conical HF .png
    139.6 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
Guys!

After a lot of thought, and since I'm down the active Synergy route, I've decided to model a 2-way.

I also forgot to say that I'm lazy, so I'm currently working on a SH-95 "clone" (90 x 40) employing the Faital HF-146 and/or Faital PR200/B&C NDL51.

What I don't undestand is: the flare rate that the CD sees, going from 9.93cm^2 (throat) to 18.86 takes 0,99cm, which translates to 1774Hz!

How can this successively be crossed <1000Hz:confused:

/Thomas

The one of the things you will find out as you dig into the math involved in designing a Synergy horn is most of the Danley models don't follow all the rules stated in the patent. From what I've tried, it is impossible to build a "text book perfect" Synergy horn that meets all the criteria found in the patent.

Thomas,

Don't think of yourself as "lazy", think in terms of "standing on the shoulders of giants" :^).

:cheers:

Nominal flare rate does not determine an "instant cut off" point.
Look at the response of this small conical 90 x 40 horn, it could easily be crossed around 1000 Hz for domestic use.

Art

Why all this talk about the importance of flare rate, if it's not that important anyway?

Speaking of the DSL SH-95: In #1205 you indicate that the ports start at ~5.5cm dowstream from the throat. I assume that this is at the edge of the ports and not the center? Do you know the actual x-over point?

It looks like the Faital is usable to ~700Hz if flare rate is not an issue!

Thanks for your input, Art.

/Thomas

Attachments

• FaitalHF146.PNG
    FaitalHF146.PNG
    51.7 KB · Views: 522
A bit steep at $130 each. PHL production is also questionable at best right now. It looks like they are about to go out of business. Once Zalyton runs out of stock we are not likely to ever see them again. The 2411 really doesn't do anything that an Eminence Delta Pro-8 can't do on a Synergy horn. In addition, you have the flexibility of choosing an 8 or 16 ohm model.