Suggestions for a loudspeaker design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am very new to loudspeaker design.

I have some requirements for a loudspeaker design. I will need 18-20 of them. One thing that is important is that they are axis aligned, so I have been considering coaxials. I am hoping that they are relatively flat down to 125 Hz or so, though obviously lower is better. I would rather they not be ported, since precision is more important to me than low-frequency response. Also, they don't need to be super loud. I would like them to be very easy to build, and mountable on something like mic stands. Another thing is that they should have a very limited profile in the horizontal and vertical planes (ie., when pointed at a listener, he shouldn't see much cabinet). The first thing I thought of was PVC pipe.

I found the seas h1602 coaxial 5" driver. On the website, they suggest a 2.5 liter box (although that is ported). The length of 5" pvc would need to be 7.7" to achieve that volume. That is very doable.

So my question(s) are: am I on the right track? Are there better ways to do this? Any thoughts or suggestions? I feel very unsure of how to proceed.

Thanks alot,
Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Chris,

As well as co-axes, well worth looking at full-range drivers. There is a whole lot more choice for one thing. Also a whole lot simpler, and in a lot of cases better sounding.

While this example is probably too large it is an example (5 ¼" driver in 9L)

sealed-9L-A102-2.jpg

Do note that a 5" driver in a 5" pipe will cause all sorts of early reflections back thru the cone. A 6 or 7" pipe would be more appropriate. 2.5 litre is also very small for that size driver, seen in the 83 dB efficiency (countered a bit by 4 ohms).

dave

+1 on what Dave said. Also worth noting that, if using PVC pipe, you should mount them off-centre.

You might get better answers if you state:

What's the location / purpose for these speakers?
What's your budget?
Do they need to be ready soon?
What's your equipment and skill level - are you hoping to cut & glue these together in your kitchen?
Where are you / what services can you access?

___

Rather than spend

$3000 for 20 Seas speakers
$50 on PVC for enclosures

...I'd go for a cheaper speaker and nicer enclosures.

To quickly + cheaply DIY, and for the same simple industrial aesthetic as PVC, consider using heavy duty electronics enclosures. They are available in many sizes, you could get a stack for $10 each, and if you know someone with a drill press, you could get all the required work done in 30 minutes.

For more $, you can buy pre-built (timber) enclosures, or get a local craftsman to make them.

You spec goals match an 8" coaxial like the well reviewed Eminence Beta-8CX. A sealed 0.3cuft box has F3 ~ 130Hz; 92db/watt efficiency; and >120db max SPL. In 10 unit purchase, 8CX + 1" compression driver is about $80. Another $10 for the crossover parts.

Probably larger and more expensive than "in your dreams", but the bass physics works.

Insulated plastic food coolers can be glued for sealed speaker enclosures.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You don't want to mount a driver on the end of a round pipe. That has the worst diffraction (+10dB ripples).

Since you say doesn't need to be high SPL, needs to be compact, need 125Hz low end. I would go full range driver.

If flat response is important try the follow in drivers

ScanSpeak 10F/8424 of 10F/8414
Visaton B80
Vifa TG9FD10-8
Dayton RS100-8
Faital Pro 3FE22 or 3FE25

These all have very flat responses and in sealed boxes might get close to 125Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.