• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Suggestion: Output tube in SET amp for midbass frequency

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have attempted DHT amps for my Tads a number of times and it is almost impossible to get the amp quiet enough unless a CCS load is used and even then microphony was still an issue . Although at 105dB , the sensitivity of your drivers is lower , nailing down any noise or microphony may still be an issue with just about any DHT , hence I would recommend a 6S45 spud amp . Before I had to ditch the Tads due to my baby daughter pulling on the horns , I had a very nice sounding 6S45 spud on the bench about to go in a box . This used a cascode depletion mosfet CCS load , three CSD01060 schottkys in the cathode circuit and a 230:6+6V toroidal mains transformer cap coupled in parafeed . Tried this on a JBL2420 /Azurahorn550 and it was adequately quiet , far more quiet than any DHT tried . Heater supplies were regulated DC though . Simple , cheap , maybe worth a try ?

316A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.