Suggest me a FR driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since no-one is saying anything different, it would seam the A12 is king for the day.
I started doing som sims and although this is OT I'd still like to hear your opinion on the matter.

I'm using MJK's MatCad worksheets. Where should my focus lie?
Sim SPL response for the system taking reflections from ceiling, floor and walls into account?
Or Combined SPL Far field?
Or Individual SPL Far field?

The two extremes...
1. BLH -> Combined SPL looks funky, SPL with reflections looks fairly good. (It's all relative)
2. ML TQWT -> Combined SPL is super flat (perfect), SPL with reflections is truly awful.

The A12 looks to have some potential. :D

I'm not sure that it's yet been addressed in this (or any other) thread, but some observations:

- "King for the day" - may well be, but Mark hasn't been standing still for very long, so by the time a lot of forum conversations have dragged on for a few months, there may well be a new model or version that (briefly) usurps that position (FWIW, of the newer designs, I quite like the A7, certainly over the previous A10)

- Since you noted earlier that the Avebury (at 72" ) was "pretty big", it's not certain what size room this system would be enjoying. IMHO the room and listening position should be at the top of list for selection of any driver / enclosure "family"

- I'll continue to ride this hobby horse - having experienced it for myself, the vertical dispersion pattern (what I'd call "integration") of some of the taller double mouth Horn/BVR designs may not best suit available listening position in all venues, regardless of selected driver

edit:

the Alpair12 could well be a revelation as a drop in replacement for the Jordan in many designs (including your existing cabinets), but it'd be a big of a leap of faith to "push the go button"

Last edited:
I'm sure what you're saying is true. Drivers come and go and there's always new and improved version around the corner. However, if it sounds good it's good and that won't change regardless.

Another good observation, size matters.
Although I could fit pretty much any speaker I want I do have a love for speakers that are on the smaller side of things.
Easier to build, lug around, bring to diy meets... + they usually have a higher waf.

13L? Sounds like a cute little thing.

No tips on the modelling bit? I guess it's one of those things one have to learn through experience?

The A12 is looking interesting enough, I might just go ahead and put it on my wishlist for the next project.

Thanks for the help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.