Suggest cheap tweeter Please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
.Those two drivers are perfectly capable of working well together in a 2 way system, if used correctly..

Hi,
Agree,That was my opinion too referring to sifis former thread where I suggested a suitable XO frequency at about 2 kHz.

When he left that thread early I thought he already had made up his mind and simply discarded the project.

So I lost the opportunity to advise him that he should narrow the otherwise wide tweeter dispersion to suit the woofer for SQ and off axis smoothness reasons.

This can IME easily be done if the tweeters are equipped with small 45 degree waveguides made of wood.( Rec.: Use HR to simulate Waveguide designs.)

At about 2 kHz the woofer will have similar dispersion characteristics and a bonus appears as the tweeter will peak a bit making it possible to keep the excursion further down at the XO frequency when padding down the excess of the tweeter level.

This approach would too ensure blameless perpendicular dispersion axis pointing out from the speaker combo, that if making the tweeter/woofer filter slope total acoustically to be of 4th order and IMO preferably of the LR type,

The tweeter would no longer, if treated as mentioned above, be the power or excursion weak factor of this design.

I've used the mentioned tweeter and the similar Dayton ND20TB or FB tweeter, in many designs with small waveguides attached XO:ed between 1.7-2.2 kHz with very good result.

IMO,IME if compared at moderate SPL levels the experienced SQ is close to many of the ScanSpeak tweeters.

Instead of throwing my not yet posted pictures into the trash bin(some is just notes but prepared for use in sifis former thread) I'm posting to this thread as some of the notes data might be of use? 1(4)-4(4)

b

1(4)

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    84.8 KB · Views: 221
QUOTE]what amount of stuffing will make (fill Vb = 1.1 Vb)?[/QUOTE]

Hi Ralf,

It depends on what material you are using for stuffing and the packing density.If I remember the numbers right:
If the box walls are lined with a layer of 1 inch of foam or a 1/4 inch of wool felt in addition, I found that a fill of 15-25% of the box volume with common non compressed polyester 'pillow' fill evenly distributed enlarger-ed the box volume (virtually) to about 10 to 15 %.

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/boxstuff.htm

b

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Just bought these pretty 2" TB :clown:

They are smaller than expected
But man, they are so pretty
Looks absolutely perfect
Enable dots on the back of cone
Though seems they could be flawed by the litzwires from voicecoil to terminal
They are simply to big, heavy and stiff
Would like to correct this, but they are too small for my fingers

Still need to listen to them before taking it any further
Im sure a waveguide could be fun

Attachments

• tb 3.jpg
    tb 3.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 93
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Did a little "testing"
Both play, at least
Test is performed lying on the floor
Loose wires connected to one channel amp while playing at my other speakers
Must be very careful not to short :hot: dont do that

Directly through a cap it sound a "scratchy"
Dissapointed:bawling:

Then through a resistor things start to change
Through a big 6.8-8.2ohm it begins to sound quite nice
Even tried a 47uf cap and still sounds good
Felt almost like it played bass too
Its almost like it loves a big cap
Might have to doo with hitting its own rolloff, making a steeper slope
No doubt, it moves
Small dust particles are dancing around on the cone

No doubt, this little thing can play
Properly implemented a design Im sure it has great potential
It screems for a waveguide

I plan to try it 2ways with an 88db 8" woofer mounted in an old backloaded horn
Looking for a cheap 1.4" waveguide

Might also work in OB with a bigger woofer

Mind you, this is a very quick evaluation and not a recommendation
If you buy one and cant make it work dont come knocking at my door
Though Im confident I can make it play really sweet :)

Attachments

• tb 2.jpg
    tb 2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 76
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.