Suggest a amp for driving 16 ohm load from 12-24 volt dc supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Ahuja '200 watt' amplifiers would struggle to put out 30 clean watts. Factor that into your calculations. They are basically 'Line' amplifiers, with high voltage 100/70V outputs that cannot be directly connected to a speaker, and are meant to run long cables.

The amps also have a 8 and 4 ohm tap, that can do about 25 watts of clean power from a single 12V battery.

The transformer at the speaker is the reason a 16 ohm load is even possible from a battery.

200 watts is extreme optimism on the part of the manufacturer/marketer.
Thanks for reply,
Hi fi is not required for me in this particular application and according to you what will be other options available for my requirement.
thanks
sudhir

I had imagined so.
Then forget , typical PA reentrant horns can´t safely stand more than 25W ; 40W tops.
But they are VERY LOUD with that power input.

A simple bridged amp fed from 2 x 12V batteries in series will put out some 20/21V peak *tops* , some 14V RMS, which into 16 ohms means 12W RMS per horn.

So now you see you need that SMPS.
What if I connect such an amp as described by you to a trafo of winding primary:secondary ::1:2 to match it to a 16 ohms load ?
regards
sudhir.

options

can it be a viable option ?

Attachments

• output.jpg
    output.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 111
This is what Ahuja does, with excellent results, one of their smallest amps, the A100.
Fed with 32V if AC available, 2 x 12V batteries in series if not, obviously at somewhat reduced power output.

222701d1305291115-ahuja-amplifier-scan0002-1-.jpg

You will not be able to clone that output stage , which I show here both as servicing help if you happen to buy a dead one for peanuts, and as an actual example of a good design, because you will NOT be able to get the driver and output transformers, both obviously custom built.

That´s not stuff you can buy over the counter anywhere and it´s almost impossible to get winding data for.

This is what Ahuja does, with excellent results, one of their smallest amps, the A100.
Fed with 32V if AC available, 2 x 12V batteries in series if not, obviously at somewhat reduced power output.

222701d1305291115-ahuja-amplifier-scan0002-1-.jpg

You will not be able to clone that output stage , which I show here both as servicing help if you happen to buy a dead one for peanuts, and as an actual example of a good design, because you will NOT be able to get the driver and output transformers, both obviously custom built.

That´s not stuff you can buy over the counter anywhere and it´s almost impossible to get winding data for.
As your opinion its 'excellent' . I also agree to you but some persons have very negative thought about the quality of these type of amps.Thats quite a simple circuit to clone except transformer. Once somewhere in north india I was getting a book which contains all ahuja transformer data but at that time that was not my requirement now I am cursing that moment. Any how
what about the other options as given in my earlier posts with diagrams.
regards
sudhir.

The transformer doesn't have to be made specifically for this. Think about what you can get cheap. If you don't need high fidelity, standard power transformers work just fine for audio. A fairly large 24 to 36 volt center tapped to 120V EI core trafo, driven in push pull with some high power cheapo NPN transistors will give a decent amount of output off a 12 volt battery.
Would you please provide some working circuit ideas ?
thanks
sudhir.

Forgive me for being stupid, but how can a transformer increase the power into a speaker ?

The 12V amplifier can only produce about 4W, adding a transformer will only allow you to use different impedance speakers which shouldn't be necessary with a well designed amplifier.

Going to 100V line transformers only allows you to use longer speaker runs with 100V line speakers at the end, the power remains (almost) the same.

Dear sudhir, the problem seems to be that there is no way to avoid transformers, either an unobtainable output one (and probably a driver too) or a high frequency switching type one (as part of an smps).

In the first case you do not have winding data , in the second it´s coupled to a circuit that you seem to find complex.
Fine with me.

But the worst problem is that you need "just one" so custom parts are not practical (R$$$$$)

Given that you have one practical problem to solve today, I´d take the short path.

I would buy a car audio power amp, obviously powered from a 12V battery, which already includes the SMPS and, because the market is huge, you will get a good product for a very reasonable price, even lower than DIY (they buy parts by the truckload).

Don´t worry about the 16 ohms load, none will spec that, but think about this: the amp is a voltage source; load power depends on its impedance.

So a 120W (RMS) into 4 ohms amp will provide 30W RMS into a 16 ohm horn.
Which is about what you can feed them reliably.

Big Bonus: in the future you can connect up to 4 such horns to build up a deafening PA system.

Don´t know how you will use this system, but unless this is a small one carried in, say, a street sales truck, eventually you may use more than one horn.

I guess

the impedance ratio is inversely proportional to the turns ratio squared.

1:2 turns gives 4:1 impedance.
i.e. connecting a 16ohms load on a 1:2 transformer lets the amplifier see a 4ohms equivalent load.
Thats the point i want to mention. If I will be able to get such a amp which can provide power in the range of 30-50 watt to a 1 ohm load even on bridging. I can fed that power to a 16 ohms speaker via such a trafo described above.This method will somehow solve problem and save me from making a smps to raise the supply voltage.
thanks
sudhir.

Forgive me for being stupid, but how can a transformer increase the power into a speaker ?

The 12V amplifier can only produce about 4W, adding a transformer will only allow you to use different impedance speakers which shouldn't be necessary with a well designed amplifier.

Going to 100V line transformers only allows you to use longer speaker runs with 100V line speakers at the end, the power remains (almost) the same.

Nobody said transformers "increase power" but that they turn the horn 16 ohms impedance into something the amp likes.

The 12V amplifier can easily produce 15/16W RMS into 4 ohms, if you use it bridged.

A 2:1 turns ratio transformer, which means 4:1 impedance ratio, can match that 4 ohms amp to one 16 ohms horn.

Of course, such speaker impedance matching transformers (usually autotransformers) do exist, but are not widely available, I´d guess that even less in India.

Just for reference, here you have a 400W RMS big, heavy, Pro, expensive one made by Peavey, designed for PA installations in, say, Churches, Shopping malls, skating rings, sports halls, etc. , where you may have to match a new power amp to older, non compatible speakers:
Peavey :: Automatch II Transformer

The very well written User Manual:
http://assets.peavey.com/download.c....pdf&name=Automatch_II_Transformer_Manual.pdf

You need a smaller one: 20 to 40 W RMS, adapting 4 to 16 ohms.

**Maybe** Ahuja has such a transformer in their catalog.

Dear sudhir, the problem seems to be that there is no way to avoid transformers, either an unobtainable output one (and probably a driver too) or a high frequency switching type one (as part of an smps).

In the first case you do not have winding data , in the second it´s coupled to a circuit that you seem to find complex.
Fine with me.

But the worst problem is that you need "just one" so custom parts are not practical (R$$$$$)

Given that you have one practical problem to solve today, I´d take the short path.

I would buy a car audio power amp, obviously powered from a 12V battery, which already includes the SMPS and, because the market is huge, you will get a good product for a very reasonable price, even lower than DIY (they buy parts by the truckload).

Don´t worry about the 16 ohms load, none will spec that, but think about this: the amp is a voltage source; load power depends on its impedance.

So a 120W (RMS) into 4 ohms amp will provide 30W RMS into a 16 ohm horn.
Which is about what you can feed them reliably.

Big Bonus: in the future you can connect up to 4 such horns to build up a deafening PA system.

Don´t know how you will use this system, but unless this is a small one carried in, say, a street sales truck, eventually you may use more than one horn.

I guess
Thanks for suggestion. I will resort on car amp with inbuilt smps as last option.I can say only that I love the said ahuja type of amp because their simplicity and robustness and the way they are harvesting power from a 12 volt car battery. Think that this amp is to be operated by a simple village man who does not know about the inside of a amplifier.He simply fix two crocodile clips to battery terminal ,add speaker and mic and his business begins. I love the operating simplicity of this amp in operation.
Any way thats a different matter.I earlier thought about the idea given by you but left it because of high voltage and complexity involved with it.
If i have to choose on a commercially available option I will surely opt this idea.
thanks
sudhir.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.