sugestions for ultimate portable small PA subwoofer 10/12inch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the numbers on the nlw 9601 are almost the same as the 15sw115 ,but uses 30 lts more.
in my experiance fb of 50hz is plenty deep for most popular music.
personaly i like to have 40hz fb,:)

tham wil have, with faital pro 1030, 126db @x-max and reaches x-lmit @2000 w@131 db,
but with f3 of 50 hz

I assume your referring to the tham12, and if that faital is good then why not the FaitalPRO 12HP1060, since it is light and powerful.

Also just to be clear, are you saying that a 15sw115 can be built in a reflex box to around the same weight as the tham12 loaded with a faital (like above) but have a bit more power?

if the tham12 with faital and 15sw115 reflex have about the same max spl I think I would much prefer the THAM12, it would be thinner and cost a fair bit less for driver shipping.

Last edited:
I assume your referring to the tham12, and if that faital is good then why not the FaitalPRO 12HP1060, since it is light and powerful.
yes and yes
Also just to be clear, are you saying that a 15sw115 can be built in a reflex box to around the same weight as the tham12 loaded with a faital (like above) but have a bit more power?
i presume a little lighter if tuned @50 and about the same if tuned to 40
the 15sw115 can handle 1700 watts aes ,the faitial 1000 watts aes.
also due to a bigger vc have less power compresson.
if the tham12 with faital and 15sw115 reflex have about the same max spl I think I would much prefer the THAM12, it would be thinner and cost a fair bit less for driver shipping.
the 15sw115 @ 50hz outpreformes the tham if you have enough power .

what might be a good driver and bp box pick to accomplish good punch and kick in a reasonably small package for pa/dj work? - how analytical/picky are typical audiences with regards to LF extension? - how low must the system go at high spl to get folks up on the dance floor? - How does harmonic distortion figure into the perception of "bass"? I see floor tom quoted as ~65Hz tuning.

1)what might be a good driver and bp box pick to accomplish good punch and kick in a reasonably small package for pa/dj work?
2) how analytical/picky are typical audiences with regards to LF extension? 3)how low must the system go at high spl to get folks up on the dance floor? 4)How does harmonic distortion figure into the perception of "bass"?
1) BP boxes usually roll off sharply anywhere from 80-160 Hz, making phase alignment in the critical "punch" range difficult or poor, if good punch and kick are the goal, BP is usually not the best choice.
2) Not, as evidenced by the popularity of Bose "subs" that don't put out much below 50 Hz.
3) Music gets people on the dance floor, most kick drums have content that can be reproduced by any speaker. That said, having lots of very low frequency in the 25-60 Hz range can let you feel the beat without requiring the ear-damaging level up high.
4) Harmonic distortion can give the perception the lower fundamentals are louder than they are, but can add too much grunge in the 160-200 Hz range, obscuring vocal fundamentals. The MaxxBass bass enhancer actually adds harmonics, giving the impression of "weight" when using speakers that don't reproduce low bass, or for situations where the LF vibrations can't be tolerated.

Last edited:
thanks Art - I had a Maxxbass - measured its response and distortion at several settings - reminded me of open baffle bass near a cancellation spot - IIRC it did boost ~6dB on the low end - it only lasted two weeks so is somewhere in my junk pile.

Karlson can make good hit boxes with good clarity - dunno if can do one compact which hits 50 strong - there's Metro's T15 - maybe Bob Reams Karlson-Hypex could be simplified - if there's any real advantage to that variant.

dual D140 type
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
My experience with effects that add bass or tweak sound to get the best listening experience simply cant be tuned in to generate much of a positive effect for the majority of a wide range of songs.

Oh and I have left a venue due to only excessive levels of low bass, which I would not have thought possible given how much I tend to crave it. It made me feel sick but I was quite impressed!

Are these "Bose subs" PA or just consumer hifi?

I have a feeling that only down to 50hz will sound fine but lack that sense of power/weight that a lower tuned sub could provide.

Last edited:
I'd check out these Harbinger linear array + sub packages heavily discounted at
MusiciansFriend before building anything myself.
Harbinger Compact Portable PA System Black | Musician's Friend
I like DIY audio projects and have done quite a few, but if these sound good for $3 bills I would save myself the effort and pickup a pair. In my experience with Harbinger (used some 15" 2 Way molded types (EON like design) for monitor and was very happy with the sound. If you have a guitar center nearby then you can take them for a test drive and see what you think about price / performance and if you still prefer the build vs buy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.