Subwoofers and ESL's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The OP asks about how the output level of the low range drivers can keep up with the ESL.

The laws of physics state that that would happen as it takes longer to go 70mm than 1mm.

To remove this delay and preserve output level you would have to increase the low range drivers area to equal the ESL.

Thats the long and short of it.

driver sensitivity and efficiency yada yada yada.

Ive seen full range ESL installs. 20-20k Hz panels probably 48 sq. Ft per side.

Low frequencies require large surface areas to grip air and launch a good wavefront at your eardrum.

The OP asks about how the output level of the low range drivers can keep up with the ESL.

The laws of physics state that that would happen as it takes longer to go 70mm than 1mm.

To remove this delay and preserve output level you would have to increase the low range drivers area to equal the ESL.

Low frequencies require large surface areas to grip air and launch a good wavefront at your eardrum.
This interpetation of the "laws of physics" makes me laugh.

A 40 Hz tone played through a speaker moving 35 mm peak to peak will require more cone velocity one only moving one mm, but will take no longer to "happen", the time between cycles is defined by the frequency required to be reproduced.

Long excursion does not equal delay.

To achieve high SPL with a small surface area requires that surface moves farther than the same SPL achieved using a larger surface area.

Low frequencies can "launch a good wavefront at your eardrum" with a small surface, as anyone that has heard a good pair of headphone can attest to.

This interpetation of the "laws of physics" makes me laugh.

+1... gosh, I just couldn't find as decent a way to comment on some of the "special" thoughts in that earlier post by Etocynned.

I hate to say it, but there are some forums where the moderators interrupt all the time when they think something is going wonkee. Of course, I'm usually at the receiving end of their narrow-minded interruptions.

B.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.