Subwoofer power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to know something, I have a Subwoofer, that is the UK rated 230v 50hz. Howevcer, someone wants to buy it from me that lives in the US, so, 110v - 120v 60hz. What type of transformer would I need? What is the difference between our Brown (live) - (Neutral) Blue, to the US? I presume the person in the UScan buy a step up transformer that can power it all ok?

I see, but, if say, the person in the US buys a step up transformer, which is 220v - 230v AC 50HZ and it is rated at 450w power consumption (if it states 400w on the back plate for the power consumption) or maybe go higher to a 600w step up transformer, that will be ok? It wont like, makes components go bad after a certain time period?

I ask that as in UK there are some cheap n cheerful step up transformers for literally like £5 odd. I need one that, has the US 2 pin on the transformer, thus AC 110v - 120v 60HZ, then in theory, he will plug that in a outlet in his home, with the 3 pin UK socket on the other side, then a simple job of just plugging it in... I do not think we can get a US standard step up transformer over here in UK :/

Anyone? :( :( :(

Just, I can not find the right type of step up transformer here in UK.

I need a US, 2 pin, that plugs in to a US socket, obviously with the 2 pin US on it, then the 3 pin UK socket, that whatever appliance is plugged in to that, will run it, no problems, which, the transformer will be 110 -120v US 60hz (that plugs into a US power outlet, with the 3 pin on the reverse that puts out the UK 230v 50HZ, can these be bought in England? OR, would I have to order one in from the US? :( :( :(

They aren't really sold over here as nobody has USA mains sockets to plug them into. It would be better for your buyer to get one, as you would probably end up importing one only to have to export it again - lots of extra postage as a 400VA one will be quite bulky and heavy. It's likely to be a box with flying leads rather than something that hangs off a socket.

1)
Just, I can not find the right type of step up transformer here in UK.

You won't.
Of course they can be made , no big deal, but the total UK market might be a couple units a year :( .

2) And forget those $5 chinese "traveller adapter" ones, they are usually around 50VA, no matter what's printed on them, and made out of such poor quality iron that they overheat and burn on themselves, without a load :eek: .

You will need a proper UK made one, 600VA rated or better, and you will have to mount it in a metallic cabinet with proper female UK type sockets (whatever your Subwoofer is using now) on the 220/240V side and a properly grounded male USA type on a cable to match his wall outlet.
And it won't cost $5 either .

And even so, there's a great chance of it being stopped at Customs, for lack of proper Electrical Safety certification.

3) what subwoofer is it?
As Andrew T says, it might be dual primary :)

Or let customer locally get a step up transformer .

4) just curious, how much does that SW weigh?
How much will the Freight cost be?

Thanks for the help people :) appreciated!

It's to power a REL R528SE Subwoofer rated at 550w power consumption. The other person is treating as they "possibly think" over time, even using the right type of transformer, that it "may" slowly burn the circuits out etc etc but I have stated that, if they do buy one from within the US, then it will work perfectly fine!

And, it doesn't do dual voltages, but for a rather high fee of £330 I could have the whole back plate removed (that I would keep) and to have the US one put in, instead, again, that is a high! fee, I am sure of they bought a step up transformer in the US it would only be around £150 odd.

Is this your Subwoofer? If it is , note the specification for 110V....this one seems "self-switching" & will switch automatically to the lower voltage.

__________________________________________________Rick............

Attachments

• SubWFR.jpg
    SubWFR.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 116
It's to power a REL R528SE Subwoofer rated at 550w power consumption.
and Ellis post shows 200W !

The USA will be able to supply an auto transformer to convert the 110/120Vac, to mains equivalent 220/240Vac.

Auto transformers are much smaller and much cheaper than isolating transformers.
The "internals of the REL" equipment still allow SAFE use of the converted mains voltage.

In 1981 I bought the opposite. a 220/240Vac to 110/120Vac autotransformer to operate 110Vac equipment.
It cost less than half the price of an isolating transformer.

If the unit is really 200W, then a 300W autotransformer will have plenty of reserve to run all day and night at maximum audio power and not suffer any degradation.

Last edited:
That is REALLY odd that REL notes two different voltages on the back. So, what they are saying is..."If this was a 110 unit, then use 'X' fuse" oh and by the way, this is not a 110 unit it is a 220 ???? It makes no sense!
Truth be told, since this is rather confusing.....& if I'm right ?? I would put a 110V into this unit......Where does it say 220V only? With the prolific application of switching power supplies.....No body uses linear supplies much anymore (We do!). Put 110 into this, what's the worst that could happen? A power sag? All my gear has "suffered" half a dozen power sags for the last 9 years here in Argentina. I measured a "session" of power sag.....I think it was some 90V or so.....half an Hours worth. No damage as a result. Fortunately no spikes.
All my "American" 110 gear, I'd brought from the States, we ad to get a "collection" of Auto-transformers(220-110). We have versions from 10KW to 200W.....watermelon sized to fist sized. All but one are still going just fine. My best gear is running off a 750W version, calculated load about 480W draw....it runs 24/7.

_____________________________________________Rick.........

Attachments

• TX.JPG
    TX.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 92
No, now, the head at REL are now stating that the way that the RELs circuit and amp is setup, a transformer will not work at all, to be extremely bad to use for this model of Sub.... I'm lost to what to do next. I could have it converted to the US power supply, but feel that I should not have to be the one to pay for that as it is £330 odd to be completed.

Once I enquired as to getting my Rel Stentor II converted from 110V to 220V. Rel tech support said "don't bother; we just use a step-down transformer when we are testing our US stock." Frankly I was just trying to get rid of the ugly box transformer.

Is this your Subwoofer? If it is , note the specification for 110V....this one seems "self-switching" & will switch automatically to the lower voltage.

__________________________________________________Rick............

Isn't it this model:

Home & Home Theatre Subwoofer Serie R R-528SE World Wide | REL Acoustics

i.e. indeed 550W

Have a peek behind the rear panel to see if there is a big fat toroid transformer. If so, it's likely not hard to change that and the associated fuse to 9A semi delay (see user manual). However it is a mains voltage project so if you don't know what you are doing you will need to find someone who does.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.