Subwoofer plate amp high level output and sound quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, on my line arrays I have a plate amp for each that powers two 8's per tower. I use speaker level connections to send them a signal (shared signal for the power amp for highs/mids).

Is there an optimal way to do this? I also have the option to use high level outputs on the plate amp but I am worried this will introduce unwanted impedance, noise, etc. I am not an EE so my understanding of plate amps is very limited. I can draw a diagram of what I am trying to do if that will help. Thanks!

Let me rephrase this...my plate amp on my towers do not have XLR inputs. I do not have RCA preamp outputs to use from my receiver to send to it. So I am using the high level inputs. This gives me the option to feed the high level outputs to the inputs fr the mids/tweeters or split the high level signal between the plate amp and the mids/tweeters. My overall question is, will routing the high level signal through the plate amp compromise the sound quality for the mids/tweeters?

Let me rephrase this...my plate amp on my towers do not have XLR inputs. I do not have RCA preamp outputs to use from my receiver to send to it. So I am using the high level inputs. This gives me the option to feed the high level outputs to the inputs fr the mids/tweeters or split the high level signal between the plate amp and the mids/tweeters. My overall question is, will routing the high level signal through the plate amp compromise the sound quality for the mids/tweeters?

As you have the hardware there already and there's only 2 possible configuration options, why not just try them both and see which you prefer?

Not much science there.
If you use the preamp outputs, you skip one stage with many components, which is good (in theory). In practice not much of an issue.
The bigger issue in using the plate amp in parallel with the sats is that you cannot use the active crossover for the sats. That will make the integration between sub and sats difficult. A passive crossover for the sats will produce other issues.
The best solution for you will be to buy or make an XLR-out to RCA-in adapter.

Probably misunderstood your post #3. The first two sentences sounded as if.

Maybe you should post a pic or a drawing. If I understand your first post correctly, the plate amp has high-level inputs, which you connected in parallel to the sats. And it also has high-level outputs that make you wonder whether it is better to connect the sats there instead?

There are two possibilities then.
(1) The woofer has an integrated passive crossover for the sats. Then you have to try whether it happens to match yours. The probably is low, but sometimes it works.
(2) There is no passive crossover which is more likely. In that case the plate amp does the same thing you are already doing. It connects the sats in parallel to the plate amp input. If there even is a difference, it will probably not be discernible. You can decide for one connection method or the other based on which is more practical for you, e.g. which way it is easier to hide the cables.

So interesting development, I attempted to send a speaker level signal to the sub plate amp and then daisy chain in parallel off of the input to the mid/tweet input. Noise! When I reversed this so that the plate amp was fed from the mid/tweet input, no noise. I will post pics tomorrow of this config.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.