Subwoofer not Punchy. too Boomy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there, I have two Behringer vp1800s. 18" subwoofers, connected a nu4-6000 Amp. The crossover is 100hz as set as standard and I cannot control this,

They resonate with everything in a room really really loudly, apart from you, it doesn't thump your chest like at a festival, even a little!! do I need a digital sound designer to find the optimum sound profiles to achieve a good punchy bass. and one the travels more then 2 meters!!

I am a DJ and have just got two subwoofers. and it doesn't provide any punchy bass.

is there any software on the computer that provides this? thanks:D:D:D:D

GM

Joined 2003
Yeah and only over a narrow BW at that, so need EQ to boost the ~100-180 Hz BW, though run the risk of overdriving the mains's woofers if you don't add some more to distribute the load.

That said, boom/punch is combined in this BW, i.e., 'boom' is sloppy 'punch', so guessing there's some time/phase mismatch through the XO BW.

GM

Last edited:
You say it resonates with the room. What room? It happens very often, that the room itself causes your problem. That´s what happens indoors. The bass is boomy.
What you can do about that is to measure your room, and count what wavelenght might be resonating it. Therefore you might want to try to attenuate the most prominent frequency, causing the problem. Try 330/dimension of your room in meters. My room is 5,5m long, so 330/5,5 = 60. I set steep filter at 60Hz -10db, and guess what? The ugly boom is gone.

To a point, yes. But the room itself really can be made to resonate, so you hear the boom even outside the room. So it really doesn´t matter what point I´m discussing. I´m discussing the cause - the room. And good start is to try just this - before you even bother to move with you or your speakers for better setup :).

gkh: That one accounts only for temperature. If you add pressure (and altitude), humidity, and other factors, it can be whatever number you think about between 310-370. :-D
I must say that I´m happy with 14° in winter, and I am not happy with 19°. Anyway it´s obvious what we are about in this discussion. If one wants to get nerdy about it, it´s no problem to use google and a calibrated microphone (I have one too).

It came as rule of thumb before even thinking about it. I have no problem to shoot in a direction and THEN correct if it doesn´t come out well. That´s good tactics for life, if the life itself is not involved. Gets you THERE fast....
Oh gosh, no! Two nerds arguing a point. We´re doomed! :)

LOL

Attachments

• Daumen antik.png
    Daumen antik.png
    440.1 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
no punch even outdoors

Even if I take the whole kit outside. I still get no bass punch if I am stood in-front of the speakers. I still get barely any feel to the subs. but when you approach them they are really loud. but in a resonating way. not a punchy way?? I am very confused. because I have tried running a full sweep on the eq to see if I can find any punchy bass areas? should I remove the amp-crossover and then see if I can find a better frequency. because right now unless I am in a room smaller then 10m2 It doesn't make any difference if I have the subs. its really bugging me!! I'm not a speaker engineer by any means. Thanks for all the useful responses!:p:p:p

I did some research online about these subs. Turns out that they are 18" systems with a total box size of around 212 liters (gross) which boast 35 Hz upwards response, 100dB/1W/1M efficiency and can be found for $280.

I suspect that, apart from the box size, something's being exaggerated :).

Anyway, some of the comments on these subs that I saw complained about them being made of particle board and the particle board failing, causing problems. If I had those subs on hand and they were not performing at a level that I'd expect a $280 18" subwoofer to perform, I'd start examining the box for any gaps or resonating panels, perhaps run an impedance test to confirm that the resonance frequency is actually around 35 Hz.

If you pull the fuse for midrange on the Klipschorn (while it's pounding your chest into the wall behind you), you will feel all the punch/slam is gone.

A good sub sounds like a bucket of sludge without properly aligned levels for the mids and HF.

+1

Not long ago heard a samba (marching) band at a street festival down the block and then their recordings during their break.

The recorded sound was coming from the usual commercial BR boxes on stands (these of course would be considered junk by home standards). Maybe they went down to 50 Hz. But they did reproduce the samba band impact pretty well.

Low bass, at home or at organ concerts, shakes your sternum, not attacks your ears. But you need to move a lot of air to feel it. My old Klipschorn certainly does not go very low but it certainly does move air like no other "suspension"; that makes it a wonderful sub woofer.

B.

Last edited:
I have one of the active versions of this sub and for $359 shipped it performs well at that price point. Personally, I think using subs indoors without some room correction is pointless. You can take this far but at minimum you'll need to EQ the room modes out of the room that are being excited.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.