subwoofer - DPL12 vs. NHT1259

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys

I modeled the DPL12 and NHT1259 in WINISD, both in sealed boxes.

I get identical response with DPL12 at 50 liters and NHT1259 at 90 liters. However, the efficiency of the NHT1259 gives me more total output.

Pros and Cons of these? Both seem commonly used. Application is mainly HT. I just prefer sealed boxes. I would lean towards DPL12 due to size but NHT1259 due to output....:crazy:

Given this is mainly HT, would someone recommend a different design/driver for a well performing (not boomy) vented enclosure that is small? small as in <=90 liters. :dunno:

Jim

I'm using a pair of NHT159's

I'm using a pair of NHT159's that I originally bought to go with HT, and was using them with plate amps as active subs with Scan Speak Solists.

When I went to Horns, I was worried about the sealed sub sounding good and keeping up with the Azurahorns since there are frequent comments about non-horn subs being to "slow" to keep up with a horn.

I am using a Behringer DCX 2496 digital crossover and used Crown Comtech 410 amp from E-bay.

They really sound better than I had hoped for. Madisound describes the NHT 1259 as "tight and lean"

Tight and lean describes it about as well as anything. The NHT 1259 in the Madisound cabinet has excellent transient response that is sometimes described as _fast_ ( although bass list folks probably cringe at that usage of the term)

NHT1259's were apparantly highly thought of by some on the Bass List - that was 8 years ago, so technologically they may be superseded by the Adire 12 which is a later design.

NHT 1259 FAQ at

http://www.arsenal.net/speakers/ar/documents/NHT 1259 Frequently Asked Questions.htm

FWIW, I heard an Adire 12 and thought it was good but not as good as the NHT 1259. However, not sure that it was a fair comparison - I'm using the Madisound cabinets which are probably twice the volume, and the Adire was powered by a plate amp ( very good quality).

I am probably prejudiced as a former bass player _grin_, but I think the larger box is the way to go.

Last but not least, I thought the NHT1259's were good and worth recommending for HT with the plate amps.

However, With the digital crossover and Crown amps they really shine and come into their own and sound quite nice.

Whichever way you go, I think you've narrowed it down pretty well with these two.

Regards

Ken l

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.