Subwoofer design with unknown driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a 12" driver that I think it is from Phillips (an old one). I am using it with the Pass design El-Pipe O, with good results. But now I having trouble in puting that big ugly tower in the living room, you know why dont you:) .
So I though of using the driver in a box or something like that. But the problem is that I dont have any specs. Is there any decent way to do it?

Miguel

You can get a reasonable measure of Vas by adding a known mass to the cone and measuring the new (lower) resonant frequency.

There's a site with a spreadsheet on it to calculate the parameters using this method.

I've forgotten the URL though. I could email you the spreadsheet if no-one comes up with the website details.

Chris Morriss.

miguel2 said:
I must have a box to measure Vas. So I would have to build one to get that and then build another one...
Is there a way to go round this?

If you do use the box method, it certainly doesn't have to be a flash box. Offcuts of timber are good for this and it can be slapped together fairly quick as long as you get it sealed, and know the internal volume.

Cheers

The problem is that if I understand correctly, I must have a box to measure Vas. So I would have to build one to get that and then build another one...
Is there a way to go round this?

Yes. And don't bother faffing around adding mass and measuring Fs again, it's a pain. Use the BL method, a quick search should reveal it, failing that it's fully explained in Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Cookbook.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.