Subwoofer cabinet advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, look below.
(2.1ft³ = 59.465L for 2x drivers)

Your mistake if using a two driver system instead of one driver for the same internal volume is that you need a driver for smaller enclosure volume. This, if not using equalization like in the case you are comparing to (sub Dayton Audio RS1202K). Does it make any sense to you?! Summarizing, without EQ you need eventually a bigger box (it's this case) or another driver for a smaller box, there are drivers for 30/40 L enclosures with a better Qtc closer to 0.707.
http://www.daytonaudio.com/media/resources/300-766-dayton-audio-rs1202-user-manual.pdf
I'm not quite sure what you're saying, but if you're saying that the Dayton Audio RS1202K is able to get away with such a small enclosure because of the equalization of the SPA1000 plate amp, I concur. Generally speaking, it's pretty obvious that sealed subwoofers need more low-end equalization than ported subwoofers.

Is not obvious.
In this case is not because of that, but because you are using a sealed enclosure smaller than ideal with a high Qtc. The same for ported.
What is obvious is that almost all the times the sealed systems don't need correction when using the correct driver in a convenient enclosure. The room gain does it's job. EQ it's a gimmick for the s-t-u-p-i-d HT subs. :D

(uploaded demo pics from sealed enclosures by Petoin Dominique)

Attachments

• QTC courbe 1_petoindominique.jpg
    QTC courbe 1_petoindominique.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 187
  • QTC courbe 2_petoindominique.jpg
    QTC courbe 2_petoindominique.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 185
Is not obvious.
In this case is not because of that, but because you are using a sealed enclosure smaller than ideal with a high Qtc. The same for ported.
What is obvious is that almost all the times the sealed systems don't need correction when using the correct driver in a convenient enclosure. The room gain does it's job. EQ it's a gimmick for the s-t-u-p-i-d HT subs. :D

(uploaded demo pics from sealed enclosures by Petoin Dominique)
My experimentation with WinISD contradicts what you're saying. In every case, the sealed designs start dropping off earlier than the ported designs. Perhaps you can point me to an example of a subwoofer that does the opposite. Also, it's obvious that not everyone worships at the alter of 0.707 Qtc as you do as eveidenced by the 1.00 Q of the Dayton Audio RS1202K.

:D Never heard (of) a sub better than my stereo. Much less for Jazz. I guess that's how good they are... or they are just something to spend your money on?! Confused? When you have a small house/room you need a small sub, or think you need. If you dig it, awesome. If you don't, awesome. ;)
I didn't know WinISD gave opinions. My bottom line question is why Dayton Audio's best subwoofer kit consists of two of these subwoofers in a 2.1 cubic-foot cabinet? If you or anyone else here can provide an objective well-reasoned answer, I would appreciate it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.