submerged gainclone...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi!

i got a craaaazy idea...

so, there are all these people building submerged pcs where the motherboard is submerged into a non conducting liquid substance such as oil...

I got to thinking about how this could work for a gainclone...

the entire thing would be very well insulated from radiowaves...when they store radioactive nuclear waste they submerge it into liquid which dampens the waves...

there would be no need for a heatsink because of the fact that its submerged into a liquid...

it'd look really cool:clown:

the only downside i can think of is the audio cables would have to be in a seperate enclosure...thats the only downside i can think of other than a mildly complex enclosure...

ideas? thoughts? rants?

i'm thinking about making a craptop of pcbs all on one board...

in theory this should work really well...no interference from outside sources...VERY well insulated...

one could make an insane parallel gainclone inside a tiny enclosure...there would be no need to spend the extra money on the isolated version of the gainclone...

i'm working on a cheapy p2p gainclone to test this with...

i think i'm gonna use some 6v lantern batteries to test it with because liquids combined with wall sockets scare the sh*t out of me...

mineral oil works well

you'll still need a heatsink for the chips - not as big a one as you would for air cooling, but you still need to transfer the heat from a small point on the chip into a large amount of oil

all said and done however, the chips have an INTERNAL current limiter. you can achieve the chips maximum output with a moderatley small heatisnk anyways. using oil won't allow you to push the chips further. sure, you could make a larger bridged-parallel unit i guess. but even then, a decent chunky heatsink would do the job adeqautely, whereas with oil you'll need a fairly large volume as unlike air, the oil isn't cycling - it's jsut getting hotter and hotter

demogorgon said:
[nerdrampage]
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL!!
OMGOMGOMG
!!!!11111
[/nerdrampage]

fluorinert?
yeah, thats cheap.. real cheap..

for your test go for de-ionized water..

Are you mad? If you use de-ionized water, it'll likely eat the hell out of the metal parts and if that doesn't kill it, the water will still conduct electricity and short out. Mineral oil is the only cheap and safe way to go.

You would still need a heatsink to draw the heat away from the GC into the surrounding liquid better. Maybe a much smaller one, but you would still need one.

Also, I played around with my multimeter, and noticed that Water and Peroxide conduct good, 1-10K ohms, but 91% Alcohol hardly gets a reading on my meter. My meter reads up to 30Megohm and I had to have the prongs almost touching to get readings. Lowest I got was 15 Megohm before prongs touch.

I would think that submerging a GC with a small heatsink in Alcohol would do the trick.

JWFokker said:

Are you mad? If you use de-ionized water, it'll likely eat the hell out of the metal parts and if that doesn't kill it, the water will still conduct electricity and short out. Mineral oil is the only cheap and safe way to go.

deionized water dont conduct.. there is nothing in it to conduct, and eat up the metal?
my computer waterblocks are holding on just fine after two years of using the stuff..
for a tast it'l work just fine.
it did when i submerged my old computer in the stuff to see if it was anything to shout hourray for.. not that it was anyways, didnt come over 2ghz on my xp1700 that does 2.3 on air. but back to topic..

Hmmm. Liquid cooled amps?

http://www.vongaylordaudio.com/product_html/prouni.htm

I would say if you can't afford the flourinert (isn't it $300/gallon?), mineral oil is the way to go. There have been countless overlcockers who've submerged their machines in mineral oil for cooling experiments.

Most of the rigs that I've seen put the components in a container and fill it with mineral oil. They then place the container and oil combination inside the refridgerator. The oil aids heat transfer and also keeps condensation from forming on any of the components.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.