• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Subbu DAC V3 - ES9023/WM8804 SPDIF & Power Supply PCB" Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

As expected here are the final prices for Parts GB, DAC & PSU.
Prices are in €, VAT included.
Parts are selected according to Subbu and Jean-Paul tips.

1° - DAC Parts Kit : 24.50 € (From Official BOM content)
C8 C13 C21 ALT : SAL 122 -10uF/10v
C35 ALT : SAL122 / MAL2128 - 10uF 10/16v
C22 ALT : MAL2128 - 47uF/6.3v
C4 ALT : Wima MKP
C34 : prefered vs C31 (C31 or C34 to be populated)
C5/7/15/16/17/19/20/26/27 : 4.7uF Tantal
L1 L2 : 100uH
-> I've removed X2 (SPDIF) and X6 (L/R Out) connectors.
-> A soldered wire is a far better solution vs connectors.

2° - PSU Parts Kit : 11.00 € (From Official BOM content)
C1/C3 ALT : 2200uF/25v
C2/C4 : Panasonic ECPU 1uF
C5/C8 : MKT 100nF 5%
C7 : MKT 1nF 5%
R4 (RLed) : 1K2 standard brightness
-> Still no tranformers as previously mentionned.
-> Fuse (110 or 250v) & X1/2 connectors included

Parts GB will be closed today ;)
I'll start to Paypal quickly to place all the orders.
I'll publish a link to a summary spreadsheet for orders including shipping & fees for subscribers.
Then you'll be abble to check your order status and progress.

Regards

Phil

I'll publish a link to a summary spreadsheet for orders including shipping & fees for subscribers.

That sounds good. Then only thing to do is pay and sit back and wait for the PCB's and the parts to arrive. :D

Oh, of course I need to source the transformer. And a case wouldn't hurt either.

You should check the actual output voltage, to make sure that it doesn't exceed the Subbu DAC input capacitor ratings. Such small transformers usually have low regulation figures, that is the unloaded voltage can be well in excess of the nominal voltage. It would be a shame to spoil all Subbu and Jean-Paul's work with a poor transformer.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
When using our PSU PCB it is better to use the Tamura type. I can not tell what happens with a randomly chosen transformer. Most have way too high voltages when they're not connected to a load which means you will have to use 25 V or higher rated caps.

If the Tamura would be expensive I could understand why another type is chosen. Fortunately the Tamura is not expensive and it is proven to be performing well in our application + it is in the BOM.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi All

As expected here are the final prices for Parts GB, DAC & PSU.
Prices are in €, VAT included.
Parts are selected according to Subbu and Jean-Paul tips.

1° - DAC Parts Kit : 24.50 € (From Official BOM content)
C8 C13 C21 ALT : SAL 122 -10uF/10v
C35 ALT : SAL122 / MAL2128 - 10uF 10/16v
C22 ALT : MAL2128 - 47uF/6.3v
C4 ALT : Wima MKP
C34 : prefered vs C31 (C31 or C34 to be populated)
C5/7/15/16/17/19/20/26/27 : 4.7uF Tantal
L1 L2 : 100uH
-> I've removed X2 (SPDIF) and X6 (L/R Out) connectors.

2° - PSU Parts Kit : 11.00 € (From Official BOM content)
C1/C3 ALT : 2200uF/25v
C2/C4 : Panasonic ECPU 1uF
C5/C8 : MKT 100nF 5%
C7 : MKT 1nF 5%
R4 (RLed) : 1K2 standard brightness
-> Still no tranformers as previously mentionned.
-> Fuse (110 or 250v) & X1/2 connectors included

Parts GB will be closed today ;)

Regards

Phil

IMO there is not much (if at all) difference between using Molex KK or soldered wires. However when the device will be modded (or reused in another case later) I would vote for using Molex KK connectors any time. In the past I always soldered wires straight to PCBs but after having to repair lifted PCB tracks a few times one learns a lesson or two ;)

Last edited:
Hello Jean-Paul,

When using our PSU PCB it is better to use the Tamura type. I can not tell what happens with a randomly chosen transformer. Most have way too high voltages when they're not connected to a load which means you will have to use 25 V or higher rated caps.

I've measured unloaded voltage and it's 10.5V. With a load of 220mA it falls to 9.9V. Then, with the dac-psu connected, I can expect at most 14-15V after rectification that is ok with 25V caps and it's tight with 16V caps.

If the Tamura would be expensive I could understand why another type is chosen. Fortunately the Tamura is not expensive and it is proven to be performing well in our application + it is in the BOM.

I agree but I'm going this way because I'm in for the GB parts thas has no trafo because of shipping costs.
My external trafo is not cheap because it was used with a (broken) expensive electronic instruments.
Moreover, the choice to have a trafo far from the two pcbs should be better from the leakage flux point of view. Isn't it?

Of course, I do not want to spoil the subbu-dac potential :)

Hi All

All Parts GB subscribers have received by mail link to the "Recap Parts GB" GoogleDoc.
Check your order, I'll send you a Paypal request soon.
If everything is correct no need to Mail or Post ;)
My PM mailbox is nearly full.

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil,

I post here if your mailbox is full.

I don't sucess open your link. Can you please remove me from the list, I will buy myself if I don't destroy the chips during soldering. Thank you for all your help in this project.

Eldam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.