Sub pointing down or forward

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I doubt a gap as big as even a foot would be to much of a problem. I would think keeping the gap to a smaller amount like five inches would be wiser.

Has any one ever considered putting a shape of some sort to dispurse the sound outwars under the subwoofer? I was looking at some ones up firing DIY speakers that had cones above them. I was not thinking of a drastic cone but perhaps a gentle 1-2 inch one? Just an idea. That or a sound dampening pad to prevent feedback so only the roll off from the cone to outside of the subwoofer cabnit was useful. I would say a dampening pad no bigger then 3/4 the cone size and no less then 1/2... Those are just ideas.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
A smaller gap (shorter feet) would affect or load the down-firing woofer more. So what is the change in response due to the gap, and how large a gap should one use (or how small a gap can one get away with) to avoid this effect? No guesses or intuitions, please. I'm hoping there is a formula or simulation program which takes this into account.

"Bear" raised an important issue that no one discussed further. Apparently bass frequencies can go right through floors if they are simple 3/4 inch plywood with only a carpet on top. The deeper frequencies have a greater tendency to do this compared to higher frequencies. What I don't know is what the tendency is for this to happen for the frequencies that a subwoofer plays. This obviously depends on what frequencies your downfiring sub would cover.

To further indicate that this is an issue, Bruce Edgar designs his sub horn to have a built up stepped up slab of wood on the floor that the horn portion of his subwoofer fires into. As a futher improvement on this, he has recommended that his subwoofer be placed over slab of concrete roughly the size of his subwoofer.

Retsel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.