Stuffing test report

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pearlite? ASBESTOS!

The poly fill was the cheap pillow stuffing. The kind that feels slippery. Where the Daycron AcoustaStuff does not.

My experiments show stuffing does three things. It changes the the F3 but not much. Just a Hz or two. It has big effects on Qtc being able to drop a couple dB off the hump of a high Q box, and third, maybe most important, it does damp the box internals greatly smoothing the response through the mid. Picking the stuffing and density needs to consider all three attributes or you are not getting the most for the effort. The engineer and cheapskate side of me loves solutions that improve moire than one thing at a time!

I used up all my old "horesehair" carpet pad, which was Jute, years ago. Don't know where to get it now. I liked how it worked lining ported boxes. I am really skeptical about the burnt coconut, but I have not tried it and the slick sheet Kef published did not provide any real data. A poster on the other thread seems quite insistent, even though I do not believe he has actually tried it. I am game.

Foam, either rigid ( if pore size matters) is very difficult because at least my boxes are not empty. It is easier to stuff fibers around braces. Personally, I don't buy the pore size claim. It does not make sense with what I know about physics, I can see the possibility of the granular friction working. The surface texture of the coconut will be different from the coal based, which may be relevant. Look on the bright side, if it does not work, it is great in the flower beds.

Tom,
The spray foam that you would use to fill a small space or for insulation is typically closed cell foam. I would say that it would work well as an insulation layer or for damping a panel resonance but not in the way that long fibers are working. The loose fibers are working very differently than a rigid closed cell foam will function.

Pearlite? ASBESTOS!

The poly fill was the cheap pillow stuffing. The kind that feels slippery. Where the Daycron AcoustaStuff does not.

My experiments show stuffing does three things. It changes the the F3 but not much. Just a Hz or two. It has big effects on Qtc being able to drop a couple dB off the hump of a high Q box, and third, maybe most important, it does damp the box internals greatly smoothing the response through the mid. Picking the stuffing and density needs to consider all three attributes or you are not getting the most for the effort. The engineer and cheapskate side of me loves solutions that improve moire than one thing at a time!

I used up all my old "horesehair" carpet pad, which was Jute, years ago. Don't know where to get it now. I liked how it worked lining ported boxes. I am really skeptical about the burnt coconut, but I have not tried it and the slick sheet Kef published did not provide any real data. A poster on the other thread seems quite insistent, even though I do not believe he has actually tried it. I am game.

Foam, either rigid ( if pore size matters) is very difficult because at least my boxes are not empty. It is easier to stuff fibers around braces. Personally, I don't buy the pore size claim. It does not make sense with what I know about physics, I can see the possibility of the granular friction working. The surface texture of the coconut will be different from the coal based, which may be relevant. Look on the bright side, if it does not work, it is great in the flower beds.
http://www.perlite.org/pdf/asbestos.pdf

I used up all my old "horesehair" carpet pad, which was Jute, years ago. Don't know where to get it now. I liked how it worked lining ported boxes.

Me too in some apps and still readily available on-line and in some local outlets. I can still get sufficient scraps for free from a carpet installing neighbor. If I wanted a house full though, I imagine I'd have to pay him the recycling fee.

GM

Tom,
The spray foam that you would use to fill a small space or for insulation is typically closed cell foam. I would say that it would work well as an insulation layer or for damping a panel resonance but not in the way that long fibers are working. The loose fibers are working very differently than a rigid closed cell foam will function.

I doubt it would do anything for panel damping. It has almost no strength.

Pulling this thread back. In the sub forum it was suggested that granulated charcoal , as advertised by Kef, can provide an effective reduction if Vb by 4 times. As I found about 15% the max from any conventional fiber, I don't believe it for a minute, but only quantitative testing will answer the question. BS or breakthrough.

Interestingly, KEF doesn't seem to be touting "ACE" any longer. None of their more recent designs have charcoal packets in them.

Have you seen Anthony Gallo's "S2" patent?

I just skimmed it, but it looks like he's just using standard kitchen shrink wrap in spirals or something like that.

Read it, it's Quite Clever actually:)
Resilient springy panels from 1.5 mil plastic films as well as the rolled spiraled stuffings.
Not kitchen wrap as that stuff just sticks to itself uselessly.
It certainly reads as probable.. and given mr Gallo's record: likely even does as he claims
Gotta try it. :). Raw Material is certainly cheap enough.. at Home Depot.

PS: imo Kent Engineering Foundry has seen it's best days.

tvrgeek,,
It would surprise you what the low density foams will do as insulators. Also between two panels in makes a great filler material and makes one hell of a composite core material.

Not at all. Love the stuff. It is just another engineering material. Use where it makes sense; don't expect it to do things it won't. I have probably used 20 cans of GreatStuff in my house. If I was building a house, there are few options more important than an inch or two of spray foam. Absolute infiltration barrier, bug barrier, and unbroken insulation.

As I mentioned in the other thread, a patent only means it is a unique concept, unique application of a concept, and is not a perpetual motion machine. It has nothing to do with if it works or not. The Panasonic patent gave me a good laugh.

Fish filter carbon does not work at all. Not even as good as polyfill stuffing. Verified. It will do fine in the flower bed. I may not bother with coconut unless someone sends me some. Not worth my time or money. Now if anyone has a real whitepaper, IEEE or AES submission that has peer review data suggesting a "molecular sieve" is actually useful as a damping material, then I'll reconsider. In the mean time, I am interested in rough texture ultra fine fiber that is high density. Anyone know if such a material?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.