Stuck on midrange driver selection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’d like to not have to go 4 way.
Do I need to look at full range drivers or maybe go to a 4 way system?

Linkwitz LX521 and JohnK's Music and Design NANO II are a four way dipole, where each speaker is only used up to the Fdipole frequency. This design philosophy generates the best dipole figure-eight polar pattern. After reading the tech work on their websites you might decide to keep the Peerless 830883 and add a 4" or 5" upper midrange on a narrow baffle. Four way dipoles do require additional crossover complexity to get good sound, so several simulations of baffles and passive + active crossover alternatives are necessary before you decide to make the jump. You will loose some dipole magic if you keep your monopole ribbon tweeter.

IF YOU REALLY LOVE the sound of your monopole ribbon....
A dipole 8" full range like the Tang Band W8-1808 (Dayton PM220 - PS220) is often combined with a high cross over frequency ribbon tweeter on a wide baffle. The width and shape of this wide baffle is designed so the dipole figure-eight polar pattern only fully develops below 200Hz, where dipole designed woofers start to take over with the figure-eight polar pattern which reduces room interaction. A search will show that this is a popular design choice.

Attachments

• 4way dipole.jpg
    4way dipole.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 249
  • LowtherAmerica.jpg
    LowtherAmerica.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 255
  • 1808+H-frame.jpg
    1808+H-frame.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 249
  • Dayton PS200_PM220.jpg
    Dayton PS200_PM220.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
" you might decide to keep the Peerless 830883 and add a 4" or 5" upper midrange on a narrow baffle."

Ok so IF i did, what would be the recommended XO point between the peerless and 4/5 inch satori? 1K? keeping in mind that 3.5k is about the highest I can go on the smaller driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.