• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Stromberg-Carlson project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
doing my homework

I've been doing my work here and have found all your suggestions helpful about tube choice and circuit design.

I did find 2 great articles about the Long-Tail Pair at aikenamps as suggeted by Tom in a previous post here:

Long-Tail Pairs

and

Designing Long Tail Pairs

Still have questions about rewiring old speaker outputs and installing a 1/4" jack (or two)

thanks for your patience
*mystro2b*

Ok- I'll ask again, but this time I have pictures:D:

I plan to use this amp with a 1x12, 8 ohm speaker cabinet.
My guess is, I will have a speaker cable with a 1/4" jack at one end (to plug into my 8 ohm cab) and the other end of the cable wired somehow to the output section of the amp. This is where I need guidance- how to prepare the speaker cable and where to hook it up.

I have attached a schematic of the speaker plugs and their connection to the transformer and power tubes.

In my next post, I will have a picture of the inside of the the speaker outputs (J2 & J4) as seen from my amp. I have labeled the pins on the speaker sockets since the amp was turned upside.

All very confusing to me. Salieri said of Mozart, "Too many notes!"

I'm saying too many wires? :xeye:

Attachments

• speaker schem.jpg
    speaker schem.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 358
Wow! What a mess! I suggest that you throw away everything and tape off the unused impedance ratings. Then take the 8ohm wire and the ground wire and solder them to a 1/4" jack, in which you will put the speaker plug. Easy :D

But pay attention to those resistors coming off some secondaries and returning to the amp... those are NFB resistors... you want to keep them (but try to disconnect them and you'll get much bluesier sound... maybe you want to tweak their value...)

Good Luck!

I want pictures!!!!!!! ;)

6SJ7 pentode amps

the 6SJ7 pentode is an awesome sounding tube, properly configured it has a sound depth and compression you cannot get with dual triodes. NOS tubes are available for 3.50 each at www.tubesandmore.com I am the original designer of the Octal Fatness, and several other octal pentode input amps, I have a schematic archive at www.freewebs.com/jonesamps check it out, the PA amp you have would probably make a nice platform for the Octaluxe. The fender dual professional, 5C1 champ, gibson lespaul jr, gisonette, and several other guitar amps used this tube, usually in grid leak bias, I use this tube in hot cathode bias and it sounds excellent, check out doug hammonds version

http://dhammond_1.tripod.com/RocktalFat.mp3

dont be afraid to use the 6SJ7, it sounds bada$$!

500 ?MMF

I just lucked into a Stromberg Carlson au32 pa amp. It is in nice shape but I want to go thru and change out the caps, they are 40 or 50 years old after all... One cap is listed on the schematic as a 500 mmf. I've never seen this before. Could this be a 500pf cap?

labrat119 not sure why I cannot see your pics... but I would gut it like others have said in this thread and rebuild it. I have a little Stromberg PA and just rewired a little of it and it sounded pretty good. But I had some issues with it and decided that a complete rewire following some standard guitar amp designs would be in order. The one I have has el-84's. I cannot remember the model number offhand.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.