Str-v555es Help!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm having problems with my STR-V555ES,when i turn it on i do not get anything on the display,and the mutting led blinks for about 15 seconds,the it will stop blinking and i get the display on,now when I move the volume control either up or down the DB numbers cout so slow,and the mute light will blink,at this point nothing works,the second relay sound doesn't came up,sometimes i wait many hours and even days!,and then it will came on, on in one millon will start without a problem.
If i get it to work i play a movie in DST,after 20 minutes the volume will get much higher and there is no way to control it,and some other times i have protection error.
If anyone can help me to pin point the problem,i will be able to replace the part.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi dariot,
If anyone can help me to pin point the problem,i will be able to replace the part.
That would be why technicians get paid. ;)

Look in the power supply area. The uP supply might be flakey. Thing is, we can't see it so we only know what you tell us.

Do you have a DVM and the service manual? Have you any experience working on receivers?

-Chris

Those things had uP problems and a service bulletin against them.

As a former Sony service center manager I would recommend you bury it at the crossroads at midnight (and pound a stake through it's guts first).

Remember, Sony is a four-letter word.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi djk,
I learned to hate Sony service in Canada. The old S.M. was a lier, I caught him a couple times. The product was no worse than many others and actually better than many. It was the darn secrets Sony had.

What was the bulletin? I know the AC detect cap was forever going open in many models, but this is different.

-Chris

Edit: Was it that blo dy "Sony Bond" that turned brown and ate everything metal, also tuning conductive? I really have to thak Sony for that wonderful stuff.

IIRC, it was a board layout issue. You had to do some cuts, add some jumpers, and a couple of film caps. Sometimes they still wouldn't work. If I did the mod and it didn't work, the uP got replaced. If it still didn't work it went back to Sony.

Their tape decks left something to be desired as well. The (soft) heads wore out while under warranty, the cheap motors wore out under warranty, the cheap belts wore out under warranty (causing the transports to jam, and when you tried to eject the tape it bent the head mount, and the balls fell out of the transport). They also made loud screeching sounds when the tape head relay got intermittent.

We used to joke that they had to call it Sony because all the good four-letter words (like P*A*R*C and T*I*H*S) were already taken.

Sony video is a different company, and a different story (mostly
OK).

djk said:
As a former Sony service center manager...

Sorry for being off-topic, but i am at my wits ends at the moment - my CDP-X707ES died on me 2 days ago and i am trying to find a KSS-272A optical block for it. Any assistance is highly appreciated... to make matters rose, i already have an XA50ES with a dead KSS-273B also seemingly unobtanium :(

ilimzn said:

Sorry for being off-topic, but i am at my wits ends at the moment - my CDP-X707ES died on me 2 days ago and i am trying to find a KSS-272A optical block for it. Any assistance is highly appreciated... to make matters rose, i already have an XA50ES with a dead KSS-273B also seemingly unobtanium :(

dear...

I once got one of this adress. Mr Farer from Franke elektronic in Germany, but that was in 2003.

But you can check this emailadress: farer@franke-electronic.de

It's not very cheap, I paid around 180 euros if I remember well
and yes it still works and i own the xa50 es still, in a modfied way but...

goodluck

Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.