Stomp Box Problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I see what you are saying about the impedance. I also did a lot of reading and now understand that audio voltage is AC which makes a lot more sense. I was thinking in terms of DC voltage.

I see also what you are saying about the virtual ground. Since the input passes through the virtual ground circuit instead of it being a separate circuit.

Ok, so what I get so far.

1. Definitly need a seperate power supply virtual ground.
2. Need at least a 1M resistor at the input to set the impedance.
3. Will experiment with LED's instead of the 1N914 diodes to increase the output voltage.
4. Probably need another gain stage to boost the volume back to the original output level.

Once you get through that circuitry, can I just use a basic c-moy amp circuit to boost it back up? The impedance shouldn't be a factor anymore?

That circuit that you referenced would still be limited by the .7v introduced by the diodes, am I right? Or does the fact that you set the impedance in the beginning take care of that output level problem?

If at any point you get tired of answering these questions I completely understand. I really appreciate you patience so far!!

Jman

Yes, that curcuit would be limited to 0.7v output voltage , to add a Gain stage just use the same curcuit again without the diodes, Basicly just two of the same curcuits in series but without the diodes in the second stage, and maybe with lower gain or adjustable gain useing a Pot.....

This will give you an over complicated explanation of the theory behind Virtual Ground...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_ground

Good luck on your journey though the mind boggling world of electronics...

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.